Error -108 (not enough memory)

Server: OS X 2x2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon, 3G RAM.

OS X Server 10.5.6

Retrospect server 6.1.230

Retrospect client: all the latest version

Files stored on dedicated internal 1T drive(s), current capacity ~456GB (so, over half unused).

Got a whole slew of -108 (not enough memory) messages as copied at end of this post. I note two different types of errors, however:

1. "Scanning incomplete, error -108 (not enough memory)"

2. "Trouble matching Macintosh HD on WA Sea Grant clientname to Backup Set B, error -108 (not enough memory)."

It's not clear to me whether this refers to insufficient RAM. I read about another issue involving too many files, but several of the client computers generating this error are new and have smaller numbers of files and absolute storage than others that had been successfully backed up previously.

Please advise.

=============================

Error messages:

+ Normal backup using backup server at 3/17/2009 10:00 AM

To backup set Backup Set B…

- 3/17/2009 10:00:08 AM: Copying j\b3.Jj on WA Sea Grant P. Granger…

3/17/2009 10:00:08 AM: Connected to WA Sea Grant P. Granger

Scanning incomplete, error -108 (not enough memory)

+ Normal backup using backup server at 3/17/2009 10:08 AM

To backup set Backup Set B…

- 3/17/2009 10:08:15 AM: Copying Macintosh HD on WA Sea Grant K. Cowden…

3/17/2009 10:08:15 AM: Connected to WA Sea Grant K. Cowden

Trouble matching Macintosh HD on WA Sea Grant K. Cowden to Backup Set B, error -108 (not enough memory).

• Like 1

Retrospect client: all the latest version

Not sure if it's the cause of your problem, but "latest version" is non-responsive. These forums are not just for your benefit, but also for the benefit of others who have similar problems, and who are searching for successful solutions.

Months from now, "latest version" won't mean anything, and it is even unclear now because there are several "latest versions" floating about for the Mac client.

Let's see, are you talking about "latest version" Retrospect Mac OS X Client 6.2.234 released 10/31/2008, or "latest version" Retrospect Mac Classic Client 5.1.180 released 5/4/2006, or "latest version" Retrospect Mac OS X Client 6.3.015 released 3/6/2009, or ....?

There are different issues with each "latest version" client.

Also, you haven't provided any information about the clients. You indicate that "several of the client computers" are new, implying that some clients are generating the error and some are not. Are there differences between the OS version, architecture (PPC or Intel), RAM, etc., of the clients that have the problem and those that don't?

Russ

Okay, duly noted. Here are more specs:

All 6.2.234 clients.

All MacBook Pros (e.g., 2.4GHz IntelCore2Duo) with exception of iMac 2.16G IntelCore2Duo (3G).

All Leopard 10.5.6.

RAM varies (1-3 gigs) but all DDR3 SDRAM.

What else should I be providing to make a sufficiently thorough comparison and inferences?

FWIW, error -108 occurs on MacBook Pro laptops with far fewer files than my 3G-RAM iMac, for example, so I wouldn't think it was too many files (which was a previous issue).

Edited by Guest

Ok, someone who has that client hardware and OS will have to respond. Nothing jumps out as the cause because the 6.2.234 client is native.

How many files are in your backup set that is being matched? The Retrospect Server 6.1.230, because of its legacy heritage, is running as Carbon API interpreted under Rosetta on the Intel Xserve, which may be causing the limits.

As a "big picture", Retrospect is having to do a huge sort on the backup set against the snapshot in order to do the matching.

Russ

Thanks much, Russ. Quick response much appreciated.

I hope I understand your question, and I have 20 files (i.e., clients) being backed up. If that's not what you mean, please clarify (i.e., how do I determine this—wasn't obvious in log).

We have a net admin on retainer for mostly troubleshooting Retro, he knows way more about this than I do, and he's thinking Retro 8.0 for OS X may be well worth investing in once it's out of beta for a while. Maybe such a significant upgrade will eliminate some of the persistant problems I've been encountering.

Edited by Guest
Forgot to answer your question.

Okay, so my newbie will really be showing now, no doubt, but how does one determine how many files are in the backup set? I don't see this manifesting in the logs, but this question has come up before, so I think I'd better know how to get this info...if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks again!

I wonder if this kind of info will be easier to retrieve in 8.0

It's not any more difficult to see in Retrospect "Classic" then any other information; everything is in one of the sections off the main Directory window.

But yes, in Retrospect 8 there's a "details pane" that can be left visible all the time; simply click on a Media Set and information about files and backups is easily seen.

• 3 years later...

We used to see occasional -108 out of memory errors with large client volumes in Retro 6.1. In addition to the Intel/Rosetta issue, Retro 6 also had a limit on how much RAM it could use (as I recall, it was 2 GB, but it may have been even less). We have experienced no out of memory errors running Retro 8/9.