Backup to DVD-RAM using DVD-RW/DVD-RAM Combo Drive

dkoppka

Hi all,

I recently installed a new DVD-Drive with DVD-RAM capability. Now, I can't get it to work. Training Retrospect to use this drive with a DVD-RAM medium (Verbatim 5x single sided rewritable) fails. A UDF formated disc is labled incompatible. Using removable instead of optical drives when creating a backup set does not recognise the DVD drive.

Is a combo DVD-RW/DVD-RAM drive supported by Retrospect with regards to DVD-RAM? DVD-RWs work just fine as optical backup sets.

Am I missing something here? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dirk

I did some more tests and here is what it came up with.

I was able to conduct a half Backup on DVD-RAM using a test removable disk backup set. Anyway, for Retrospect to recognise the DVD-RAM I had to open the Windows Explorer and click on the DVD icon before starting Retrospect. It looks like a mount of the DVD-RAM is needed beforehand (using UNIX terminology here). When I close the explorer and start Retrospect it will not recognise the DVD-RAM but treat the DVD drive as an optical drive.

I ventured of from my PC while it was conducting the backup and when I came back the screensaver was on. After log on Retrospect seemed to have stuck half way through (progress bar not moving but Retrospect still receptable). I stopped the backup looked at the windows explorer and switched to my C-drive in the explorer viewer. I tried to re-invoke the backup, but Retrospect would not recognise the DVD-RAM anymore.

There seems to be something crucial to when Retrospect is actually able to detect a DVD-RAM or otherwise treat the DVD drive as a DVD-RW opticle drive.

By the way, I use Windows Vista 64Bit. The DVD-RAM drive is a Samsung SH-S202L. The DVD was formatted in UDF 2.50.

Any further ideas?

Here is the error code:

Probleme beim Schreiben: "1-Wichtige Daten 1" (2583277056), Fehler -116 (Volume ist nicht vorhanden)

After a few more tests it seems it is mere coincidense if Retrospect recognises DVD-RAM or loses it again. Does Windows Autorun/Autoplay feature have to do something with it?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've given up on this and thought I let you know. I managed to get one full backup on DVD-RAM, though, but during the very next backup (scheduled) Retrospect did not recognise the DVD-RAM in the drive. A shear pain in the ... you get my point :angry2: .

I have gone back to DVD-RW for now.

Thanks