Retrospect UI not available during scheduled operation

jelenko

I have Retrospect 7.5.508 configured to run daily backups. The pc is running Win XP, SP3. But, had the same behaviour with SP2.

There are about 8 backups run over a 10 minute period. They all run fine. But, when running, the Retrospect user interface is only partially displayed on the screen and is not responsive to any mouse clicks. For example, I couldn't stop or pause execution if needed.

I do have Retrospect Launcher configured to log on under my account [vs the system account] so it can access a drive on another pc on my home network.

When I open Retro manually, the user interface works just fine.

Any idea of how to get the user interface to be active when it's running a scheduled backup?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

The UI should be active when scheduled backups are running. How much RAM does your computer have? If you are using multiple execution units at the same time it can use a lot of RAM. While this behavior is occurring are all of your other programs working normally?

Also, its always good to have the most recent software. You can update to version 7.6.123 for free and see if that helps.

-jeff

The UI should be active when scheduled backups are running. How much RAM does your computer have? If you are using multiple execution units at the same time it can use a lot of RAM. While this behavior is occurring are all of your other programs working normally?

Also, its always good to have the most recent software. You can update to version 7.6.123 for free and see if that helps.

-jeff

2GB of RAM. What is an execution unit?

Yes, all other programs are running normally - no discernable slow down in responsiveness.

I've stayed away from 7.6 - all it did was to add link to Mozy [and something else which I've forgotten].

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
There are about 8 backups run over a 10 minute period. They all run fine. But, when running, the Retrospect user interface is only partially displayed on the screen and is not responsive to any mouse clicks. For example, I couldn't stop or pause execution if needed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean that you have 8 backups run over a 10 minute period. I assume you mean concurrently, but even still, I don't think I've ever seen Retrospect do a backup of any kind in that short a time.

Anyway, it's not unusual for the UI to hang or appear frozen when multiple scripts utilizing large-sized disk sets are running concurrently. This is pretty much normal Retrospect behavior. :(

I've stayed away from 7.6

It almost never makes sense to run an old version of Retrospect. :speechless: