Transfer Settings of EMC Restrospect

I have a friend/client that needs my help. They are changing their Backup Server for hardware reasons! Their current Backup Server uses EMC Retrospect v7.6.123 for its core backup operations.

Though it is a relatively simple task to setup the new Backup Server, what would makes things much simpler would be if there was a way we could save and transfer the current Retrospect settings (by settings I am referring to: Volumes, Scripts, Preference Settings, Backup Jobs, etc..) to the new installation of Retrospect.

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Copy the following file from the old server to the new server, making sure to place the file in the same location on the new server:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\Config75.dat

You'll also have to move your catalog files (any files ending in *.rbc) to the new computer. The best way to get Retrospect to recognize them is to double-click these *.rbc files once they are on the new computer.

Thank you very much! I guess the user manual was the first place to look but I don't think I would have looked under heading of "Moving Retrospect" as obvious as it sounds! LOL

Anyway, the previous Retrospect was configured so that the Catalog files were ALSO stored on the Storage Device which is a Buffalo TeraStation NAS.

Would you say it is better practice to move those catalog files onto C: drive of the new Backup Computer or should I leave them on the NAS?

Edited by Guest

As long as the NAS is always online and is reliable, it's only an issue of performance. Lots of random read/write I/O happens to the catalog, whereas the backup set is pretty much sequential write only during backup (permitting lots of buffering and large windows) and sequential read only (again, permitting lots of buffering and read-ahead) during verify / catalog rebuild.

So, the backup set performs well on a high-latency path (as to a NAS over a network) whereas you really want low latency (local attached storage) for the catalog for high performance.

Make sense?

Russ

As long as the NAS is always online and is reliable, it's only an issue of performance. Lots of random read/write I/O happens to the catalog, whereas the backup set is pretty much sequential write only during backup (permitting lots of buffering and large windows) and sequential read only (again, permitting lots of buffering and read-ahead) during verify / catalog rebuild.

So, the backup set performs well on a high-latency path (as to a NAS over a network) whereas you really want low latency (local attached storage) for the catalog for high performance.

Make sense?

Russ

Makes perfect sense. It seems clear that best idea would be to move the catalog files to the C: drive of the new Backup Server.

Thank you very much to all!