Remote Desktop Issue (doesn't run Retrospect)

careybroph

Having a problem getting Retrospect to work properly via remote desktop? You're not alone. It seems to be a problem that might be more specific to 64-bit Windows systems, but not sure.

Anyway, I worked with technical support this morning and found the solution, which I wanted to pass along.

[color:purple]Step 1:[/color] Open a remote desktop session to the server (do NOT open Retrospect yet).

[color:purple]Step 2.[/color] On the remote desktop console, select START | RUN | Console 0

(I actually created a little batch file on the desktop that includes nothing but Console 0 , which simplifies this step)

[color:red]THE FIRST TIME YOU TRY THIS, YOU WILL LIKELY RECEIVE AN ERROR.[/color] If so, it's most likely because you need to change a setting in the server's group policy settings (to allow a shadow console). To make this change:

...A. Within the Remote Desktop session, open the Group Policy snap-in ([color:blue]Gpedit.msc[/color]).

...B. In the left pane, under the [color:blue]Computer Configuration[/color] branch, expand the [color:blue]Administrative Templates[/color] branch.

...C. Expand the [color:blue]Windows Components[/color] branch.

...D. Click the [color:blue]Terminal Services[/color] folder.

...E. In the right pane, double-click [color:blue]Sets rules for remote control of Terminal Services user sessions[/color].

...F. On the Setting tab, click [color:blue]Enabled[/color].

...G. In the Options box, click [color:blue]Full Control without* users' permission[/color], and then click [color:blue]OK[/color].

...H. Close the Group Policy Editor.

*Regarding step G - Microsoft discusses this topic in a Technical Bulletin . However, the instructions suggest setting the option to "[color:blue]Full control with user's permission[/color]". However, this requires that you go to the server every time and click Yes to allow the remote session. This kinda defeats the whole purpose of remote desktop, doesn't it? I mean, if I have to get up and go the the server room to click 'Yes', I really don't need Remote Desktop, do I?

At this point, you can try running Console 0 again and it should work fine. You may notice that it displays the remote desktop with a slightly different view (smaller view), but Retrospect will now run just fine. I believe Console 0 puts it in more of a KVM mode vs. true remote desktop.

GREAT NEWS: I was told that Retrospect will be updated this year to separate the backup engine from the management console. This will allow the management console to be installed on workstations, which should eliminate the need for remote desktop sessions altogether (I hope). It's a much better approach.

Anyway, thought this might be some helpful information to someone having a similar problem.

Good Luck!

Edited by Guest