Win Retro 7.6.123 Multi Server crashing problem (assert_log.utx)

easi

We have a crashing problem with newest version of Retro Multi Server backup. This is a clean install, no previous Retro version installed. Environment is Win2003 Server Std SP2 x64 (DC role) with EX2007 SP1 installed. Latest updates naturally. When I simply close the main program I have two identical erros that simply ask me to send this information to EMC or not and continue.

Assert_log.utx simply states following:

[...]

OS: Windows Server 2003 version 5.2 (build 3790), Service Pack 2, (64 bit)

Application: C:\Program Files (x86)\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\Retrospect.exe, version 7.6.123

Driver Update and Hot Fix version 7.6.2.101

Exception occurred on 27.2.2009 at 11:46:39

Exception code: c0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Fault address: 100018b7 0001:000008b7 (null)

[...]

Module Fn (symbol or seg:offset in DLL) Args

=============== ================================= =======================================================================

ex2k7bridge.dll 0001:000008b7 'epiP' 0 24 8 f 64415c0b 3947ba0 12fd48

Retrospect.exe 0001:706f7453

[...]

I then have also done the special RBU service user for Retro (http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=9633), made EX-mailboxes visible to Retro (this part is working) and backups are working when runned interactively, but it seems that Retro Launcher service does not work or ever try to run scheduled scripts. I'm not using proactice backup.

This might have something to do with the constant and always happening crach for main program when exiting. Launcher service is not craching, it stays simply in 'Started' state but does nothing. Scheduled backups start to run like they should when main program in running.

I have tested this same version in an different EX2007SP1 environment where the same server is not a DC, makes no difference. Same problem.

Any ideas from where to look?

===========

Update: When I release EX-licence, program is running fine and not crashing when exited. Something to do with Exchange 2007 support...

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the same problem as I have described prevouiously, with the difference being that I am using the SBS version where I do not have the oportunity (or maybe knowlage) to release the Exchange license. Before I setup the first backup and told it to use the exchange license, I was not haveing the double crash on exit problem. Now I have to leave the server logged in or backups do not run. I posted this on another thread, and I have not heard back. Is there a fix to this problem?

• 2 months later...

Lars, is the SBS edition you're running 64-bit ? I am only seeing this annoying issue on 64-bit Server 3003. When I install Retrospect on Server 2003 32-bit, I do not see this problem.

I may experiment with compatibility modes or something else along the lines of running in 32-bit mode on 64-bit server

Please try this TEST version of Retrospect to see if the problem is fixed. Keep in mind that this is pre-release software and it has not been tested by our QA group yet. One user confirmed that this version fixed the problem causing an assert error on quit.

http://download.dantz.com/archives/21276.zip

Please let me know how it goes. You would unzip the folder and launch Retrospect.exe from within this folder.

Okay, I would still like an answer to how to deploy this patch as a permanent solution, but for now, I have manually backed up the Retrospect Program File directory and copied and overwritten the root directory with the patch files.

Still working like a charm. I keep expecting it to crash, but nothing yet. :)

Prior to encountering this issue, I discovered the catalog file was damaged for our Tuesday backup external drive. I rebuilt the catalog (took 19 hours for 450 Gb) and allowed the scripts that were backlogged as a result of the rebuild process to resume during the day today.

As the catalog rebuilt, I was trying to add some new volumes for backup purposes, which is when I was getting the error.

The rebuild and scripts finished, and I wanted to rotate the drive ahead of tonight's backups, and I don't know what is going on, but my external SATA could not be disconnected normally via software. So I shut down the server and disconnected the drive while everything was off. I booted the server up and connected tonight's Wednesday drive. Now Retrospect works perfectly in regards to browsing the network and adding volumes.

I think it was all related to the external drive somehow. I will be very interested to see how things work out when I need to re-use the Tuesday drive next week and match against the now rebuilt catalog. I do know, however, that the backups that proceeded to that media went just fine, so I do expect it will work again.