Assert_log.utx

Server 2003

Exchange 2007 sp1

Retrospect for Windows Client ver. 7.5.116

I am running VERY low on available space for the C: drive of my Exchange 2007 Server. One file in particular is taking up a ridiculous amount of space. assert_log.utx is currently 4GB in size.

1. What is this file for?

2. What can I do to reduce the size? (Delete it?)

3. Is this indicative of a problem with the Backup client that caused it to grow this large?

Thank you!

The assert_log.utx is Retrospect's crash log. I would stop the Retrospect client, archive the log to a different location, and turn the Retrospect client back on. If there is a problem with the client (e.g., a crash), a new assert_log.utx will be created.

Just on a side note, have you had a large number of crashes of the Retrospect client on that machine?

Edited by Guest

I am experiencing the same issue as well. Latest build of Retrospect, Client, and Exchange. Noticed it after upgrading to the latest Client version. Assert_Log.utx grows and grows every night. The backups are verifying properly each night, so I do not think anything is going wrong.

Seems to me like a software developer is writing too much to his debug log...

So yesterday I moved the 4GB file to another location to free up space. Today the file is already over 400MB!

There are no errors showing up for the client that I can find. The backups appear to be functioning. I really need to figure out what is making this file so large before it eats up my whole hard drive.