Error 1004 with Retrospect 7.6

Hello,

I've recently seen the error below when backing up the Second Storage Group. I've replaced the server name and backup set with "X" for privacy reasons. The below if from the backup log.

+ Normal backup using X Exchange at 2/16/2009 5:02 AM (Execution unit 5)

To Backup Set X...

- 2/16/2009 5:02:25 AM: Copying Second Storage Group on X

Backup type: Full

T-8: >>>HrESEBackupSetup(050d) --

T-8: MapError: unknown Windows error 1,293

Trouble reading files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

2/16/2009 5:03:15 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 503.2 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:50 (00:00:21 idle/loading/preparing)

Now, I looked it up in knowledgebase and found the link below although it pertains to Retrospect 6.5.

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=5304&n=10&s=

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently experiencing a similar problem, Retrospect is unable to backup Exchange server 2007 storage groups, when running the backup we receive the following error:

+ Recycle backup using OneOff at 26/02/2009 11:17 (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set SecondStorageOneOFF...

26/02/2009 11:17:00: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 26/02/2009 11:17:00: Copying First Storage Group on server

Backup type: Full

T-8: >>>HrESEBackupSetup(050d) --

T-8: MapError: unknown Windows error 1,293

26/02/2009 11:17:33: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 9.1 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:32 (00:00:07 idle/loading/preparing)

We have two servers:

File server – Windows Server Standard 2003 R2 32bit

Exchange server – Windows Server Standard 2003 R2 64bit + Exchange Standard 2007

Retrospect is installed on the File server, version:

Current version: 7.6.123 single server

Hotfix version: 7.6.2.101

Client Version: 7.6.107 (on Exchange server)

The storage group backup was working until we installed the 7.6.1.101 driver and hot fixes update, it fails to backup the storage groups but can backup the individual user mailboxes and all public folders.

We have tried un-installing and forgetting the backup client then re-installing the backup client and re-connecting but the error still occurs.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Rajesh Rajan

• 4 weeks later...

Mayoff,

What are your suggestions to fix or troubleshoot this problem further? The machine it has a problem with is a Windows Server 2003 OS that does run Active Directory. Just looking now, the client software on this AD server was running 7.6.116 or whatever the version is exactly. Just updated it to 7.6.107. Will see what happens.

Thanks,

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't yet gotten a response. Sorry to be a nag Mayoff. I have updated to version 7.6.107 (a month ago or so) and still receiving the error.

Script: X

Client: X

Date: 4/17/2009

>From Retrospect: Script "X" failed during automatic execution, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error). Please launch Retrospect and check the log for details.

Script: X

Date: 4/17/2009

Script "X" incomplete

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's a fix yet, reason being they point to link on how to set up things. I've been informed to check my settings on how I have things set up, funny thing is it was working fine for quite some time, I hadn't changed anything. I hope they come up with a solution eventually.

Edited by Guest

Looks like I CAN now backup the individual mailboxes but I still cannot backup the Storage Groups and Public Folder Groups (Same database error). I find that odd since I can get to the mailboxes?

This possibly indicates that the RBU account may need some special access granted via Powershell/Exchange Shell console? Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks.

My retrospect was having the same error with backing up storage groups. After speaking with tech support (we have a support contract) it was suggested that the exchange server thinks there is still a backup being performed and will not allow the scripted one to start.

I was asked to reboot the exchange server and that fixed the problem.

Maybe this will work for you guys.

Oddly enough we have one script that backups up volumes on critical servers which include the storage groups volume. I'm not sure what is advantageous running those storage group container backups through the "Exchange Agent" script as opposed to just have another script simply backup those drive volumes that contain the storage groups?

In our Critical script, the exchange .edb files are backed up so I'm not sure if we need to worry about doing this through the exchange backup process or not.

Edited by Guest