Retrospect and Volume Shadow Copy Service

FuzzyJohn

I am setting up a Windows XP Pro SP-3 machine from the ground up.

I did a quick backup test using Retrospect Single Server v7.6.123. When I started the backup I did not see the message saying "Preparing for open file backup". During the backup I had several files with Error -1020 (sharing violation). I checked the Volume Shadow Copy service and found it not to be running.

On a wim I uninstalled Retrospect Single Server v7.6.123 and installed Retrospect Professional v7.0.326. When I started the backup I saw the message saying "Preparing for open file backup". The backup completed without errors. I checked the Volume Shadow Copy service and fond it to be running.

Why the difference between the 2 versions? In Retrospect Single Server v7.6.123 when I tried to enable Open File Backup I got a message saying that my license does not cover that feature.

Does the Single Server version require a separate license for open file backup in XP while the Professional version will use XP's VSS? Will Retrospect Professional v7.6 use XP's VSS?

I was under the impression that the additional license for open file backup is to use Retrospect's Open File Backup not the Volume Shadow Copy service.

• 2 weeks later...