"please select the backup set member" when restoring

brokenwhole

Hi, I'm trying to do a restore from a disk backup. The backup was made to an external hard-drive from a different PC. I copied the catalog file, and Retrospect can read it fine - it shows me the snapshots, lets me pick files to restore. But when everything is ready to go, it comes up with a dialog saying ""please select the backup set member". First, why is it asking me for that when I already gave it the catalog? Anyway, I browse down into the location of the backup sets, but I really don't know what I'm looking for, and, in any case, there's no OK button on the dialog. Please see attachment showing the "open" button greyed out when I browse down to the directory containing the rdb files.

Thanks, Keith

P.s. I'm positive it's not a permissions/security issue, or a file corruption problem.

Edited by Guest

What do you mean to an external hard drive "from a different PC"? Do you mean the backup made on a computer different from where the screenshots were taken?

Retrospect at least in the past would get hopelessly confused if the backup sets moved from one drive to another.

You might need to rebuild the catalog.

Well, I made the backup on one PC (actually the same PC as I'm using now but a different hard-drive - I'm restaging my laptop with a new hard-drive). I copied the backup set to my new hard-drive, and copied the catalog. It can obviously read the catalog, otherwise it wouldn't be able to let me choose snapshots and directories from which to restore. Do you think I actually do need to recatalog on the new drive?

My recollection was that Retrospect had gotten confused in this situation. It was as if it hard codes where the backup set is, although that was for subsequent backups. You might move already existing catalog aside and see what a recatalog does. The other option is to put the backup set in the same path as it was when the backup took place.

• 4 weeks later...