Sign in to follow this  
AdrenalineSeed

Invalid Handle

I checked the log this morning and it has this error:

Scanning Incomplete: error -1100 invalid handle

I am not sure what this is telling me? Does it mean that our backup could not be correct and needs to be done over?

My guess is that you have a disk directory problem and you need to run CHKDSK on that volume.

Yes, you need to run the backup again.

I can't take down the server that has the volume, it is a very commonly used drive share on the network, so much so that the share name is "common". Is it possible that the software just can't handle the sheer amount of files on the drive, there is something in the millions of files.

I can't take down the server that has the volume, it is a very commonly used drive share on the network, so much so that the share name is "common". Is it possible that the software just can't handle the sheer amount of files on the drive, there is something in the millions of files.

You could test that theory by defining a Retrospect "subvolume" (see page 284 of the User's Guide) for part of the share, and another subvolume for the rest of the share. See if the smaller source size helps. If it's a disk corruption issue, then it might help you locate where the problem is (by narrowing the size of the subvolume).

Retrospect 7.5 User's Guide

While it could be a pathname length problem (but I think you would have gotten a different error for that), sure sounds to me like a filesystem problem that chkdsk should spot. If it is a filesystem problem, continued use of that filesystem could be a bad thing until it has been repaired. Your gamble. Good luck.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Your weekend is saved. ;)

You need to go to work and run CHKDSK.

What is "millions"? 100 "millions"? 2 "millions"?

We have about 1.2 million files on more than one cumputer. No problem.