Invalid Handle

I can't take down the server that has the volume, it is a very commonly used drive share on the network, so much so that the share name is "common". Is it possible that the software just can't handle the sheer amount of files on the drive, there is something in the millions of files.

You could test that theory by defining a Retrospect "subvolume" (see page 284 of the User's Guide) for part of the share, and another subvolume for the rest of the share. See if the smaller source size helps. If it's a disk corruption issue, then it might help you locate where the problem is (by narrowing the size of the subvolume).

Retrospect 7.5 User's Guide

While it could be a pathname length problem (but I think you would have gotten a different error for that), sure sounds to me like a filesystem problem that chkdsk should spot. If it is a filesystem problem, continued use of that filesystem could be a bad thing until it has been repaired. Your gamble. Good luck.

Russ

Edited by Guest

I can't take down the server that has the volume, it is a very commonly used drive share on the network, so much so that the share name is "common". Is it possible that the software just can't handle the sheer amount of files on the drive, there is something in the millions of files.

Your weekend is saved. ;)

You need to go to work and run CHKDSK.

What is "millions"? 100 "millions"? 2 "millions"?

We have about 1.2 million files on more than one cumputer. No problem.