DVD-R/+R Invisible on Desktop

I have been using Retrospect for over 15 years and never seemed to have any major problems. For the last few years I have been backing up onto DVD-RAM disks using a LaCie (Matshita DVD-RAM LF-D310)

We have now switched to backing up onto DVD-R or DVD+R's because DVD-RAM disks are harder to find. I am using an intel Core Duo iMac4,1, 2 GHz. Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and I want to use the SuperDrive to backup onto the DVD's.

Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 (Driver: Matshita DVD-R - RDI (5.12)

Firmware Revision FB2U

DVD-Write : -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Retrospect Version 6.1.23

RDU 6.1.15.101 (I have tried taking the .rdi files out and installing an older version RDU 6.1.11.101, but I had the same problem)

I have configured the maxell DVD-R's as well as the DVD+R's in Retrospect and can back up onto these DVDs fine, but they don't want to mount on the desktop. I can see the DVD in both Retrospect and in the Disk Utility applications, and I can also retrieve files from it through Retrospect. All I need now is to be able to see the DVD on the desktop so I know I have the correct DVD number, like any other DVD that is not a retrospect DVD. I have CDs, DVDs, and iPods checked on in the "Show these items on the Desktop" preference. I have tried taking the .rdi files out and installing an older version RDU 6.1.11.101, but I had the same problem.

Do you have any idea's what I may be doing wrong here? I can keep backing up to invisible DVD's but I would like to know the media is there.

Thanks in advance.

I have been using Retrospect for over 15 years and never seemed to have any major problems.

Yep, I started on version 2.0 as well, back on a long-retired ASIP server.

For the last few years I have been backing up onto DVD-RAM disks using a LaCie (Matshita DVD-RAM LF-D310)

We have now switched to backing up onto DVD-R or DVD+R's because DVD-RAM disks are harder to find. I am using an intel Core Duo iMac4,1, 2 GHz. Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and I want to use the SuperDrive to backup onto the DVD's.

Well, you certainly haven't been backing up from that computer for 15 years because it's rather new. So, you seem to have made a new install of Retrospect.

There's a kext (Mac OS kernel extension) that can get installed at Retrospect install time to install software necessary to mount a Retrospect backup DVD. You are probably missing that optional piece of software. Personally, I have never installed it because it's one more piece of unneeded software that might go bad and that I'd prefer to leave off our Xserve.

This kext file gets installed to provide Finder support for a Retrospect DVD. See this post:

Showing Retrospect DVD on Desktop

See also this post about how to tell if the kext is installed:

How to tell if Retrospect kext is installed

Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 (Driver: Matshita DVD-R - RDI (5.12)

Firmware Revision FB2U

DVD-Write : -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Retrospect Version 6.1.23

RDU 6.1.15.101 (I have tried taking the .rdi files out and installing an older version RDU 6.1.11.101, but I had the same problem)

I have configured the maxell DVD-R's as well as the DVD+R's in Retrospect and can back up onto these DVDs fine, but they don't want to mount on the desktop. I can see the DVD in both Retrospect and in the Disk Utility applications, and I can also retrieve files from it through Retrospect. All I need now is to be able to see the DVD on the desktop so I know I have the correct DVD number, like any other DVD that is not a retrospect DVD. I have CDs, DVDs, and iPods checked on in the "Show these items on the Desktop" preference. I have tried taking the .rdi files out and installing an older version RDU 6.1.11.101, but I had the same problem.

Do you have any idea's what I may be doing wrong here? I can keep backing up to invisible DVD's but I would like to know the media is there.

The mounting of the Retrospect backup DVDs is completely unrelated to your custom configuration. In fact, because your DVD device is a supported device:

Retrospect UJ-846 Support

you will get better results by NOT doing a custom configure (i.e., remove the .rdi files), and by using the internal parameters in the 6.1.15.101 RDU (go back to that one). You need at least RDU 6.1.14.101 in order to get a version that has the bugfix for DVD-R media:

Retrospect Mac RDU version history

Russ

Thanks for the reply Russ. Here is the info I got in the Terminal when I typed "ls -al /System/Library/Filesystems/retrospectcd.fs"

Backup-Mac:~ backupmac$ ls -al /System/Library/Filesystems/retrospectcd.fs

total 144

drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Sep 19 11:02 .

drwxr-xr-x 18 root wheel 612 Sep 19 11:02 ..

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6148 Mar 6 2008 .DS_Store

drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Sep 19 11:02 Contents

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 14176 Sep 15 2005 fsck_retrospectcd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 21068 Sep 15 2005 mount_retrospectcd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 24456 Sep 15 2005 retrospectcd.util

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 19 11:02 retrospectcdfs.kext

I also tried a custom install from the Retrospect Backup 6.1 Install CD, but it also said that the CD/DVD plugin was already in my system. I took out the .rdi files and and put the 6.1.15.101 RDU back in my retrospect folder with the application.

Do you have any ideas on what I can do from here? Do I need an updated .kext file? I believe we got the software back in 2005. Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks for the reply Russ. Here is the info I got in the Terminal when I typed "ls -al /System/Library/Filesystems/retrospectcd.fs"

Backup-Mac:~ backupmac$ ls -al /System/Library/Filesystems/retrospectcd.fs

total 144

drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Sep 19 11:02 .

drwxr-xr-x 18 root wheel 612 Sep 19 11:02 ..

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6148 Mar 6 2008 .DS_Store

drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Sep 19 11:02 Contents

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 14176 Sep 15 2005 fsck_retrospectcd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 21068 Sep 15 2005 mount_retrospectcd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 24456 Sep 15 2005 retrospectcd.util

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 19 11:02 retrospectcdfs.kext

I also tried a custom install from the Retrospect Backup 6.1 Install CD, but it also said that the CD/DVD plugin was already in my system. I took out the .rdi files and and put the 6.1.15.101 RDU back in my retrospect folder with the application.

Do you have any ideas on what I can do from here? Do I need an updated .kext file? I believe we got the software back in 2005. Thanks for your help so far.

Ok, then you've got the bits. I don't know whether there is an updated .kext file; only way I know to see would be to move that directory ("/System/Library/Filesystems/retrospectcd.fs") somewhere hidden from the boot procedure (can't delete because the kext would be active from the current boot, and unable to be deleted), then reinstall from the current update:

Retrospect Mac update

If there has been an update to the kext, the Retrospect install CD is guaranteed NOT to have the most recent version unless your install CD has Retrospect 6.1.230 on it.

Like I said, we don't install this kext on our Xserve, never have. Not only do we not have a need to mount CD / DVD disks for Finder access, we've only backed up to tape in our 15 years - no CD / DVD is big enough.

Some of the posts I located in the forums seem to indicate that there may be some issues with this kext and Leopard (10.5.x). (try searching on kext). Only Retrospect support would know for sure (or other users who are using this kext), or whether there has been an update to the kext. Wish I could be of more help.

Russ

Thanks for your help in looking into this Russ. I am going to see if I can reinstall Retrospect and will also see if there is an updated .kext file needed. I may try installing it onto another computer to see what happens too. We tried using single DVD-RAM Video DVD's (not the cartridge Discs) but had problems unlocking them to use.

If there are any other readers/posters that have had similar problems and found a solution, it would be much appreciated if you could share your solution.

If I do find a solution, I will post it here.

Thank you for the ideas.