6.1.23 retro is PPC, not Universal?

sorry for a question that has probably been well discussed, but i couldn't find the info.

I just migrated from PPC>Intel and installed a new 6.1.23 Retrospect that runs as PPC, is that true? it's not native or Universal?

Or is it possible that the installer "saw" the older PPC version and installed a PPC flavor?

any problems running 10.5.6 - Intel MacPro and Retrospect 6.1.23/ driver 6.1.15.101, I've installed a new Atto Scsi UL5D-LP and Retro sees the drives, I haven't done any backups yet.

thanks, j

I just migrated from PPC>Intel and installed a new 6.1.23 Retrospect that runs as PPC, is that true? it's not native or Universal?

Yep, yep. Even worse, it uses the older carbon APIs because of its old code base.

There is a Native version of Retrospect (Retrospect 8) currently in Beta test. See the beta forum if you are interested. It's a very early beta, long way to go, don't use it for production.

any problems running 10.5.6 - Intel MacPro and Retrospect 6.1.23/ driver 6.1.15.101, I've installed a new Atto Scsi UL5D-LP and Retro sees the drives, I haven't done any backups yet.

Two prossible problems.

First, make sure you have the ATTO driver and firmware updates.

Second, there is an Apple bug in the Rosetta/Carbon code that will crash if you back up ACLs. There's a preference in "Special > Preferences > OSX" that will cause ACL backup to be omitted, avoiding that crash.

Good luck, hope for a reliable release of Retrospect 8 soon.

Russ

thanks, the Atto seems to be updated and working OK, I'm rebuilding scripts.

ACL - why and what? I actually had to look up what it was : ) so hopefully it won't be a problem. I turned off the pref as recommended.

I only use CCC to backup my System and OS disks, I found that Retrospect was tediously slow. I mainly use Retrospect for incremental backup up of our working files.

thanks again, j

ACL - why and what? I actually had to look up what it was : ) so hopefully it won't be a problem. I turned off the pref as recommended.

Well, it will be a problem on restore if you have a complex custom ACL setup, because they won't get restored. The file data, however, will be correct. Apple's bug prevents backing up ACL metadata by Retrospect while it is still a Carbon Rosetta app. Apple has no motivation to fix the bug, and may be using the crashing as an incentive to force developers to port their code to Universal Binary on Cocoa. It's only been, what, four years since the Intel machines were introduced?

Russ