no free space on had c

hi together,

i've some problems with space on HD c:\

Retrospect 7.5 is running on my server since 2 years. but now, the HD c is full.

after inspecting the HD, i recognize two things:

1st. Folder c:\documents and settings/all users/application data/Retrospect. There i found a folder named rtrsec.dir with huge dat-files. what's the point of this folder? can i delete this files? or can i change the location if thie files from c to d?

the second this is similar to the first.

c:\documents and settings//my documents/retrospect katalogdateien. my backup enclose some tapes and a backup-set on a local HD (e:). is it possible to move the catalog-files from c to d without rebuilding the files by retorespect processes (i read, it's possible to build the catalog new after losing it). But i don't wont to rebuild all catalogs from scratch.

thanks in advanced

frank

The rtrsec folder tracks the NTFS permissions for files on your disks. It allows us to match against the NTFS permissions. You can delete the folder, but you may find more data being copied from your computers until the files are rebuilt by the software.

You can copy the catalog to a new disk. Double click the catalog once it reaches the new location. Then delete the original catalog.

You can delete the folder, but you may find more data being copied from your computers until the files are rebuilt by the software.

you mean, that i can delete this files, but these will be rebuild from retrospect after a while?

furthes that means, if i don't backup the ntsf-informations these files won't be create?

Is it poosible to move these files also from one location to another?

hey, thats work an is easy to move the catalogs, thank you verry much for support

The files are used to help Retrospect track the NTFS permissions from one backup set to another, so that we don't need to use the Archive Bit as the only criteria when identifying a changed NTFS permission.

If you delete the files, the files will be rebuilt next time you backup a computer....but it may result in a bunch of files being recopied since we don't have our matching details for NTFS permissions.

You can not move the files.

aha, okay, so retrospect trying to detect which fils are backed up by two crterias. first the archive flag and second the ntfs-permissons?

depends the cretion of these datfiles by the script-option "security" and the first two check-boxes. Sorry, i've a german version and can't translate the wording exactly.

my backup concept is:

some servers collecting few fils from its own configuration to a seperate folder. after this process retrospect backup these folders.

so, in my opinion, it makes no sense to backup the ntfs-informations. so i think, i don't need these dat-files.

what do you think?

can i deactivate the creation of the dat-files?

thanks in advance

Frank

okay, i can not change the location, i understand :-). But can you please give me some informations one entry above.

Is it possible to deactivate the cration of these files? i think, in my evoirement it makes no sense.

aha, okay, so retrospect trying to detect which fils are backed up by two crterias. first the archive flag and second the ntfs-permissons?

depends the cretion of these datfiles by the script-option "security" and the first two check-boxes. Sorry, i've a german version and can't translate the wording exactly.

my backup concept is:

some servers collecting few fils from its own configuration to a seperate folder. after this process retrospect backup these folders.

so, in my opinion, it makes no sense to backup the ntfs-informations. so i think, i don't need these dat-files.

what do you think?

can i deactivate the creation of the dat-files?

UUUPs, after moving the catalogs i received now an errormessage.

Fehler beim Abgleich von "backup" mit "script" Fehler 8008 (key/refnum search failed").

What can i do now?

Also before and after moving the catalogs, i'm not able to run a backup. The errormessage says:

TMemory:createMapFile: Failes to increase the paging file size, error 112.

As i say, i've verry low disk space...

Edited by Guest

okay, i test it, the files still created. Bad thing. i 've no idea how to make space free for my HD c:

Can you please assist me for these errormessages. I moved the catalog as you describe.

UUUPs, after moving the catalogs i received now an errormessage.

Fehler beim Abgleich von "backup" mit "script" Fehler 8008 (key/refnum search failed").

What can i do now?

Also before and after moving the catalogs, i'm not able to run a backup. The errormessage says:

TMemory:createMapFile: Failes to increase the paging file size, error 112.

As i say, i've verry low disk space...

Retrospect has a system requirement for disk space. You must have between 10 and 15 GB of free space on your C: disk for each execution unit you are running.

If you tell Windows to move the default temp directory to a different disk, then the space requirement will move to that other disk.

aha, i think you mean the default tmp on the system variable that pointes to TEMP and TMP? if not, which default tmp you meaning?

But now i've some stress to execute a backup because i receive the error message 808 key/refnum search failed. The message appears after moving the catalog like you described. can you give me some informations how to fix that?

Thaks

Frank