Backup problems

Hello,

a few days ago, we started getting errors when Retrospect 7.6.123 tries to backup our Exchange 2007 storage running on Windows 2008 64-bit. The problem only seems to occur if a differential backup is made and may disappear after restarting the exchange server.

The Log says:

- 23.01.2009 12:00:00: Copying Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes on exchange

Backup type: Differential

T-11: >>>HrESEBackupGetLogAndPatchFiles(03413b06e) --

T-11: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

Trouble reading files, error -523 (service transaction error)

23.01.2009 12:00:59: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 11,6 GB

Completed: 3 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0,0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:59 (00:00:15 idle/loading/preparing)

At the same time, two entries appear in the application section of the event log:
Log Name: Application

Source: ESE

Date: 23.01.2009 06:01:22

Event ID: 223

Task Category: Logging/Recovery

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: exchange.ourdomain.tld

Description:

MSExchangeIS (2372) Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes: Starting the backup of log files (range E:\Exchange\Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes\Log\E000001F474.log - E:\Exchange\Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes\Log\E000001FA03.log).

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.'>http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

exchange.ourdomain.tld

MSExchangeIS

Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes:

E:\Exchange\Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes\Log\E000001F474.log

E:\Exchange\Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes\Log\E000001FA03.log

Log Name: Application

Source: ESE

Date: 23.01.2009 06:01:22

Event ID: 215

Task Category: Logging/Recovery

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: exchange.ourdomain.tld

Description:

MSExchangeIS (2372) Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

exchange.ourdomain.tld

MSExchangeIS

Storage Group WI1 Mailboxes:

According to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B810333&x=9&y=11) the problem may be caused by an hard disk or information store problem, but checking the event log doesn't show any prolems here. Other problems might be the network communication or the backup software.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Philipp

• 2 weeks later...

Robin,

thanks for your reply. I gave the hard disk (chdksk) and the information store (eseutil, isinteg) several checks but couldn't find any problems.

The problem seems to be within the log files. The full backup of the IS works fine, it's only the differential backup that makes problems after some times.

Philipp

• 2 weeks later...

Exchange storage is fine

I gave this some additional testing. I couldn't find any problems with the exchange server, its hard disks or the Exchange Information Store. Everything works fine - except for the backup.

Only the differential backups are failing

The backups failing are only the differential ones. Backing up the full Information Store works fine and the next few differential backups also work fine. But than - a day or two after the full backup - the differential backups starts to fail with the errors above. Making a full backup resolves this issue for the next backups.

Changing the backup destination doesn't solve the issue

I also tried to test it with an other backup destination - it's just the same problem.

Other backup solution works fine

Next test was a backup test with an other backup solution: we have TSM Backup for some other purporses and so I tried to make a differential backup with TSM. This works fine.

Enabling and disabling Circular Logging doesn't helb

In http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/17988/ a similar problem is mentioned which could be resolved by enabling Circular Logging for some hours. I did so - no success.

Any further suggestions about this :-(

Philipp

• 4 weeks later...

We starting picking up the same problem on February 19 of this year. We run a full backup once a week and differentials nightly. About of third of the time the differential job fails on the HrESEBackupGetLogAndPatchFiles call with the PDS exception and error -523 service transaction error.

We've found we can get back in business without rebooting any of the servers, working entirely from within Retrospect on the tape backup machine. We go to Configure - Clients and delete and re-add the Retrospect client for the Exchange 2007 server, then relicense the Exchange 2007 database. We're not uninstalling any software, we're not even restarting Retrospect.

This seems like a problem with the Retrospect client running on Server 2003 R2 64 bit. We also back up an Exchange 2003 server in the same backup job and it has never had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't see any posts that discussed a resolution - was anyone able to solve this problem? We're running Exchange Server 2007 on a Win2k3 64-bit box, and just started experiencing almost EXACTLY the same problems Philipp reported in post #116823

Any tips?

Thanks,

--Noel

• 8 months later...

I am afraid this thread may be dead, but I am having the exact problem as Phillip. Has anyone found a solution for this?

One other thing I have noticed is that our Exchange backups are taking absurdly long times to complete. A full backup for example could take as long as 1 day, 14 hours. A differential backup can take as long as 8-9 hours. None of our other backups take nearly that long.

We are using Retrospect version 7.6.123,hotfix version 7.6.2.101. Our exchange box Exchange 2007 on Windows server 2008.

Thanks,

Brian