Assertion failure at "tstring.cpp-2214"

pjkohler

I'm running Retrospect Express HD v2.5 (I believe build 113) on Windows Vista v6.0.6002 SP1. For almost a year, I've had no issues. Within the last month or so, Retrospect has failed to start on boot and generates the subject error message. The Retrospect icon reamains in the system tray but it is unresponsive.

I've tried disabling the automatic start and starting the application manually after the boot sequence has had time to settle down. The application launches, but generates the same error message. Interestingly, the app stays open and lets me launch a copy (my prefered strategy), but it just hangs.

I've tried uninstalling and deleting the Retrospect folders in both the Program Files and the Program Data. The install required me to re-enter my license key. No joy on that attempt.

I noticed that the error message pops up late in the boot sequence about the same time as my touchpad displays a standard message about being disabled with an external mouse. I've tried disabling the Apls/Dell touchpad driver (v7.1.102.7) - also without success.

I suspect it's related to a windows update - I don't recall installing any new applications. The assert_log contains a boat load of info but I don't know how to decipher it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem also, only with XP Pro. I downloaded 2.5 last October and it worked OK to copy to external drive. Recently, I have received the assertion failure message and, although the copy/restore menu screen appears, I cannot use it at all. Even downloading and installing 2.5 again didn't work. In another string in the forum, I noticed the suggestion to delete "config25.dat and .bak" files as a solution. However, I have "config10.dat" and .bak and "config20.dat" and .bak. Perhaps these could be deleted as a solution?

• 1 month later...
Does EMC monitor these posts?

From the Forum Rules / Terms of Use:

(See Forum Rules / Terms of Use)

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

Russ

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I just saw this post when searching, and I wanted to let everyone know that this tstring assert was due to a log size bug. It was fixed in Retrospect Express HD 2.5.123. Get Express HD updates here: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/retroexpress/ .

Perhaps, except that, as of this moment, the currently-downloadable update is still 2.5.113, which is the version that was reported as having the bug.

download.dantz.com/archives/Express_HD-EN_2_5_[color:red]113[/color].exe

Perhaps if version 2.5.123, which supposedly has this fix, were to be provided as an update, it might help.

Russ