WinXP Clients to Win2K2 Server

I am currently trying to setup my network with Retrospect 5.6 Server on a Win2K2 Server machine, and adding clients to the WinXP Machines on the network. ( all using 5.6 )

The Server can't find ANY of the clients. I had no problem with win2K2 clients.

Any suggestions? I thought 5.6 was supposed to support XP

Retrospect 5.6 does support Windows XP. What happens if you try to find the clients using the test button? Are they located or do you get an error message?

Are the clients in a different subnet? If so, you will need the server edition, configured with subnet broadcast.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

By default, Windows XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall restricts network access to many networking services including the Retrospect client.

When you install the Retrospect client 5.6 or later on systems with the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall enabled, the installer automatically makes the required changes to allow Retrospect client communication.

However, if you enable Windows XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall on a computer already running the Retrospect client, you will need to run a Retrospect utility to enable client communication through the firewall. Run the "retfwset.exe" utility, found in the Retrospect client directory (by default C:\Program Files\Dantz\Client), to allow Retrospect client communication.

Archived