Error -530 unable to access client

edmorey

Hi - we're using SBS standard edition 7.6.x (latest version) to backup our server. We are missing a trick by not using this licence to backup our clients so I am running a test to check this works. I have installed the latest Windows client onto my Windows Vista Business PC and I can connect to the machine from the Retrospect server. I have added the client machine to our backup schedule - however I am getting failures reported saying "error -530 unable to access client". I have verifed that the server can see the client which it can and I have re-entered the password I setup on the client. Still getting the same error. Any ideas?

> When exactly does the error happen?

During the execution of our backup script.

> What exactly does the log say for this error?

"Can't access backup client 'Ed Morey', error -530"

> Do you see the error trying to browse the disk under Configure>Volumes?

I got the same error and also when I chose CONFIGURE > CLIENTS. However, this was before I had logged in to my machine for the morning. Once I had done that both CONFIGURE > VOLUMES and CONFIGURE > CLIENTS responded correctly and I could see the contents of my machine across the network. Seems to be "is the user logged in or not" issue - what is causing this?

One more thing that might be useful. In the client config on the server, when I was setting up the client I changed the descriptive name as it appears in the list of client machines - from the Windows machine name on the network (ACCOUNTS2) to my name (ED MOREY) which is more memorable. Could this have an effect?