Need Help: Error 525 after Client Update

While I use Retrospect daily to backup my Mac and my wife's Mac over our LAN, this is a novice question since Retrospect just runs :happy: and rarely do I have problems.

Today, I updated my wife's Mac to the latest Client 6.2.234.

Now when I test or try to configure, I get an error message stating: 525 error name/login conflict but it does say her Mac is responding on the Network page. And on the first page of Configure it says that it has a password.

I've re-read part of the user manual and I can't find an answer to what is wrong.

I don't recall if I had to turn on File Sharing on my wife's Mac. I don't think so. Couldn't find that in the Manual. Tried it both ways and no difference. I also restarted her Mac after updating Client.

While the Update seems to have worked, it does not show in my Retrospect operations log. I updated the Client from my Mac.

Also, I'm not sure of the proper Client preferences settings. Is it better to use Read Only? Appreciate recommendations.

Our setup:

My Mac: OS X Tiger 10.4.11, Retrospect 6.1.138

Wife's Mac: OS X Leopard 10.5.6

Network: Ethernet

Any info/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What was the client before on your wife's mac?

What does the client say as its status on your wife's machine?

There are some issues with updating from some versions to others having to do with how the client gets started at boot. If we get these answers above, we should be able to get you going.

File Sharing on your wife's mac is not an issue because Retrospect talks to the client over its own protocol port, not AFP.

Russ

Thank you for the quick response.

I think it was 6.1.130.

I could not find a Client history in my Retrospect. I'll do a Restore when I have time and get it to you.

Client status: "Ready"

Thanks for the help.

PS Any recommendations on the Client preferences?

My apologies. :(

I checked the log on my computer again and I found that for the first time my wife's Mac did not backup last night. There was something called a 1028 error: Client not visible.

My wife said there were no changes that she is aware of.

So now looking for a solution to the same problem but a problem that was not caused by the update.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of full information in my original post. My mistake.

Ok, the fact that the client says it is "ready" means that it is launched. So you aren't being hit by the failure to launch bug caused by the wrong RetroClient startup shell script (the new 6.2.x client is named "retroclient" and the old one was named "pitond"; if the startup script wasn't properly updated by the installer - perhaps by permissions issues - then the new client won't start, but that's not your problem). You can see that you've got the correct startup script by doing the following command in Terminal:

cat /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

and observe the line that ends "retroclient &", which starts the client in the background. This line will have a different client name if you have the old script.

Those with the preceding problem (wrong script, etc.) ended up in this state if a "push" install was done from Retrospect rather than an install from the installer image package on the client. One way to fix that, if it's the problem, is to get the installer disk image onto the client, use the installer to uninstall and then install.

Oh, by the way, you should re-download the client from EMC and install. There was a brief window of time where the installer was bad, and the client was re-released with the same name/version. Not what I would have done, because that's a support nightmare, but that's what was done, perhaps just to cause confusion.

This shouldn't (we hope) happen on next push install because the client name won't change. But I don't think this is your issue.

I suspect that you might have a Leopard firewall issue on your wife's computer.

Look at the firewall log on your wife's computer to verify that the Leopard firewall is denying access. CallMeDave has troubleshot this at great length and has made posts in the past few months that show how to fix this. For example, read the following thread beginning with his post here:

Leopard firewall issues

Russ

Edited by Guest

Well, I typed that in Terminal and got the following:

norm$ cat/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

-bash: cat/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient: No such file or directory

As I mentioned in my last post, when I checked the Retrospect log more carefully the problem with Retrospect started the day before the update. So I guess the problem is not the Update.

Also, just now I cut and pasted into Terminal what I thought were your directions. I cut improperly and pasted in the whole paragraph. Not knowing how or what terminal does, can that have caused any problems?

How do I look at the Leopard firewall?

Thanks for the help. I'll uninstall and reinstall from my wife's computer.

Thanks for the help.

Well, I typed that in Terminal and got the following:

norm$ cat/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

-bash: cat/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient: No such file or directory

Um, no, you didn't type what I suggested:

There should be a space after the "t" in "cat". Terminal thought you were trying to execute a program called "RetroClient" in a "cat" subdirectory tree in the current directory. Try again:

You can see that you've got the correct startup script by doing the following command in Terminal:

cat /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

Unix is very picky. I make mistakes, too.

Also, just now I cut and pasted into Terminal what I thought were your directions. I cut improperly and pasted in the whole paragraph. Not knowing how or what terminal does, can that have caused any problems?

You probably should have gotten a bunch of error messages. Thankfully I didn't have any lines that started with "rm" (the remove command), and no lines had an asterisk in them (the wildcard match character). I looked at the paragraph, and it should just have caused a lot of barfing but no commands.

How do I look at the Leopard firewall?

Crosseyed, with protective goggles. Seriously, use the Help menu in the Finder, look up "advanced firewall" (without quotes). Need to turn on firewall logging. Enjoy.

Russ

OP back.

Going on day three of not being able to backup my wife's Mac.

New information from prior input/suggestions, etc.:

1. When the first backup failure occurred, the log says unable to connect 1028 error. Then after two days the log changed to 525 errors.

2. Now when I go to Network screen it says "Not Connected." And when I try to connect it gives the 525 error message.

3. When I ran Terminal and responded with the string provided the results were:

##

# Start retroclient (formerly pitond) daemon

#

# please make sure this is saved with unix line endings

##

. /etc/rc.common

if [ -f "/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state" ] && [ -d "/Applications/Retrospect Client.app" ]; then

ConsoleMessage "Starting Retrospect Client"

/Applications/Retrospect\ Client.app/Contents/Resources/retroclient &

fi

4. On my wife's Mac, the Client status window now says:

Waiting for first access.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next to try to get this back working. To my knowledge, nothing changed on my wife's Mac when the failure first occurred. And the log shows that the errors started the day before I updated her Mac to the new Client.

Since my updating, I have uninstalled and installed the new Client.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, your printout of the startup script shows that the install has been done correctly.

from the server, are you able to open a telnet connection to your wife's machine on port 497?

If your wife's IP is a.b.c.d, then the command would be, on the server:

telnet a.b.c.d 497

If it won't open, you should see:

mail:~ admin$ telnet 192.168.0.8 497

Trying 192.168.0.8...

If it will open, you should see:

mail:~ admin$ telnet 192.168.0.17 497

Trying 192.168.0.17...

Connected to lwmimac.yourdomain.com.

Escape character is '^]'.

^]

telnet> quit

Connection closed.

(the escape character is a control ] )

You won't be able to do the chit-chat with the retrospect client, but that will tell you that you can get through to the client.

I suspect a firewall issue on your wife's machine.

Russ

Edited by Guest

I finally had time to check the firewall log on my wife's Mac.

It showed Retro being denied.

So I added RetroClient to the list (which had just Printer Sharing) in System Preferences/Security/Firewall as a application.

Now the log shows it being allowed but on my Mac I get either a 1028 or a 525 error.

Maybe I should just Delete or Forget that Client on my Mac and try to Add a Client?

My wife wants to use her Mac more than she wants it backed up. ;) So this project will be put on hold. Good thing, I'm frustrated because I can't figure out what caused this problem in the first place after many years of no problems backing up the Client as well as not being able to easily repair it.

Off to compare to Time Machine. ;) ;)

Thanks for help.

Tried deleting Client. Didn't work. :-(

Now what?

After Forget Client it would still show up in the Network screen as not responding. Tried to Connect and same 525 Error.

Then I trashed the Client on the client Mac and restarted it. Then it still showed up on the Network screen. Restarted server Mac and it didn't show up.

So then, installed Client from client. Went to server to Add but when I went to Network screen there it was as not responding. Tried to Add but only would let me Connect and then same error.

Do I give up?

Thanks much for any suggestions.