Hardware Suggestions

Hi

I have an old PowerMac G4 733Mhz system, a bunch of 300gb and 500gb IDE drives, 10.4.11 and Retro 6.1 for the Mac running now. I rotate the drives and am backing up about 50 users.

I'm looking to upgrade to some bigger drives (all 500gb+) a new mac, 10.5 and allow for the new Retrospect for Mac when it comes out.

I'm looking for alternatives to the PowerMac or XServe as both are overkill and to much $$ for what this box does.

I can only see 2 options thus far

* a 2nd hand Xserve or PowerMac

* A Firewire or USB 2 enclosure or multi-bay enclosure for a Mac Mini that's reliable enough to run 24/7 (does one exist?)

Any suggestions / Advice?

Matt

Edited by Guest

I'm looking to upgrade to some bigger drives (all 500gb+) a new mac, 10.5 and allow for the new Retrospect for Mac when it comes out.

I think upgrading your hardware now to accommodate the release of future software is unwise.

Although you don't specify which G4 733 you have (Digital Audio or Quicksliver), both of these machine max out at only 1.5 GB of RAM. But if you are able to handle your Sources now (possibly by being flexible with how many actual volumes are included in any particular Session or Backup Set), I'd think that waiting for Retrospect X to actually exist will only increase your buying power with used machines in the future.

If it were me, I'd stay with 10.4 and get a Serial ATA host adapter, along with some large capacity SATA drives and some sort of connecting hardware (box, brick, toaster, etc).

When a new version of Retrospect is available to actually buy, then look at your options for Intel based machines.

Just my opinion.

Dave