Scripted Backup fails on VMware ESXi Virtual Server

Hi all,

We've been using Retrospect for almost a year now and everything's been working fine.

But recently we virtualized a physical server on a ESXi server. Ever since then we've been unable to use script to backup that server, although we can do with manual backup.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Robin,

I appreciate your response. And I understand Retrospect doesn't support ESXi directly, but just wanted to pick your brain a bit and see if I could find the answer with your expertise.

Retrospect has been installed on the guest OS. And we can do immediate backup from within the guest OS just fine. It is when we do scheduled backups the script fails because it cannot access the volume?

It appears reasonable to assume that Retrospect accesses the client's volume differently when it runs off of a script as opposed to a manual job? Can you confirm if that's the case? If so, what's the difference?

Thanks much!

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem and believe I have discovered the solution. Our ESXi server has 2 network card, both connected to our network, although both detected by ESXi only one was included in ESXi's virtual switch, the other network card was also live on the network but not included in the virtual switch. I changed the virtual switch to include both active cards and my scripted backups to the virtualised servers work.

Hope this helps.