error 1102 then RE HD unable to register a task

LongmanOfW

Hello,

After almost a peaceful year, I had lately some issues with Retrospect Express 2.5.113 on Windows XP SP3. When I opened Express yesterday to launch a backup copy (not a restoration point), after a minute I got a 1102 error saying that the copy has failed because Express wasn't able to access the backup HD (a Iomega USB external HD). After many failed attempts I uninstalled Express, restarted, tried again, without change (two times). Of course, the external HD is accessible by any other mean.

Then I went on the Forum, saw that other people had encountered the same kind of problem with Retrospect 7. Since the settings are different, I wasn't able to reproduce the suggested process. Anyway, I eventually suppressed the Retrospect file in \Documents and Settings\all users\application data.

I Launched Express again. It took 5 min. before I was asked to enter the license key. The welcome panel was then prompted, I chose to configurate, then reentered my usual settings (copy, file tree, everyday backup), clicked on the finish button. For two seconds the normal panel then popped up (automatic backup, the next backup will be...), immediately replaced by the welcome panel, the one inviting to configurate and announcing 0 point of restauration. In a nutshell, Express doesn't keep memory of the settings.

If I quickly click on the backup-now line during the two seconds the normal-all-set panel is displayed, I get an error message (with no number) saying that the destination HD is unavailable.

If I change the destination HD and choose c: for example, nothing changes.

I tried to change the name of the backup file on the backup HD, but the problem is still there.

I thank you for your help.