Progressive backup - not working

jaiss585

The guide located at "http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=1061&r=0.874737" says:

Advanced features -"Progressive backup"

When Retrospect runs a backup operation it first checks the data on both the source volume and the destination backup set. It then compares them to see which files have been added or changed. After Retrospect finishes comparing the two volumes, it copies only new and changed files from the source volume into destination backup set. Unchanged files that have already been copied to the backup set will not be copied again. As a result, the first backup operation you run will be a "full" backup and take longer to complete. Future "Progressive" (incremental) backups will only copy new and changed files so they will be much faster.

Of course. This is what I'm trying to do.

But the thing is that this works for me only for the 1st week.

I run the same backup script 3 times a week on a REV tape as destination.

Naturally, at the first execution of the script, retrospect copy ALL files on the REV tape, and the second & third copy only the modified ones.

But after 1 week, retrospect ask me for another BLANK REV tape trying to name it 2-NAMEOFBACKUP, and naturally, starting a NEW, COMPLETE file copy.

Why retrospect doesn't continue to make a progressive backup on that tape?

I want only to use the same REV tape, copying only the modified files, not EVERYTIME restarting and re-copying the entire backup set!!

Can you help me?

Many thanks in advance.

How can I solve this?

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your answer, but I've not marked 1st disk as missing, in the backup job properties.

Maybe in progressive backup mode, retrospect continue to add new files to the destination till it's out of space?

This can explain what's happen: in the first week retrospect make a backup, and at the third execution the disk is full: this cause the request of another disk.

You confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try calling technical support?

From the forum rules:

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

Oops!

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/service/support/

"Technical Support is available to customers covered by a current support agreement or who pay for support incidents"

As I understand, there is NO support included in Retrospect Bundled with a REV Drive.

I can ask only here.

And a software without a minimal, "non-paid" support, is really disappointing.

Removing my last post is a great idea.

It is within the rules of this forum which are clearly posted in the Help Menu of the forum:

By using the EMC Insignia Support Forum you agree to the rules and policies below. Please read them carefully. The forum has one purpose: Retrospect Product Troubleshooting. Posts that do not meet this criteria will be deleted without notice. EMC Technical Support cannot immediately review all posted messages. While EMC makes reasonable efforts to correct misinformation, you agree not to hold EMC responsible for the accuracy of any message or the outcome of following the instructions a message may contain. Messages do not necessarily reflect the views of EMC, EMC Insignia employees or any entity or business partner associated with EMC.