Lite-on DH20A4H Atapi drive continuously reporting errors during verfication phase

Hi Folks,

I am running Retrospect Pro 7.6.1.101 on Vista64 with 2 identical Lite-on DH20A4H drives. I used the custom configuration tool for these drives. I have updated the Lite on drives with the most recent drivers.

90% of my backups report the following during the verification phase:

Trouble reading: "foobar" (566), error -206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)

I burn and verify DVDs and CDs successfully using Nero and Roxio s/w.

Any suggestions?

I am guessing that driver interfaces created by using custom configuration utility are no longer "guaranteed" to work.

They never have been guaranteed. For unsupported devices, it's a "try it, you may be lucky" sort of thing. The custom configuration parameters have never been as good as the hand-crafted ones that are there for supported devices.

The configuration utility seemed to be able to write, read, and append, so I thought that meant everything would be ok - guess not!

Yep, you get the picture.

Regarding your observation that other programs work with this drive, understand that Retrospect uses a different command set than most programs so that additional backups can be appended to the media. If those different commands don't work, then the drive doesn't work with Retrospect. See:

Packet writing vs. track-at-once