Can test clients but cannot connect?

sunnywood

I have just upgraded to Retrospect 6 Pro and cannot connect with a newly installed Client (v6). Both are Win XP machines. When I try to add the client, it says it is searching for clients by Piton Name Service, but that's all I get indefinitely (I left it for 20 minutes, no change). When I click on the "Test..." button and enter the IP address, it finds the client without difficulty.

My machine with Retrospect has two network connections. A DirecPC satellite connection (USB-based) for ISP and a standard ethernet card which connects it to a LAN with two other Windows machines (just three machines on a LinkSys EtherFast Router which is simply being used as a switch). All IP addresses are fixed IP except the DirecPC. The machine with Retrospect acts as a gateway to the Internet for the other machines, using the built-in Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

My best guess is that Retrospect is trying to find the clients on the DirecPC network, not the LAN. I searched the knowledge base and only found discussion of Client issues (and solutions) with multiple ethernet cards, not problems with the main Retrospect program.

How do I find the clients? Is there any way to direct Retrospect to add the client that tests just fine via IP but doesn't show up under the Piton Name Service?

I don't have that version. I've got v6 Pro.

Nor do I have multiple NIC cards. That's not the scenario. I've got a USB-based net connection for ISP and a local network NIC.

Does that mean I'm just out of luck? It would be unbelievable to me that I would have to pay another six hundred dollars just to be able to have Retrospect back up a client it can see. I am aghast at the thought that Dantz would do this and really hope it's not true.

Because you have multiple IP addresses, you need to try going to the Advanced network settings in Windows and change the order of the TCP/IP bindings.

Another option would be to install Retrospect on the other computer and make the system with two IP addresses the "client", and configure the bindlistner in the registry for the IP address you need to use.

The first item above is the best and easiest method.

So the first method requires the six hundred dollars for the Server version, right? If there's a way to do that with the Pro version, I'm not familiar with it.

I had just started wondering about the second solution you mentioned. Given that I can't justify paying so much for the first solution ($50, maybe even $100, but not $600), just for backing up a small home office, I think I'll have to find a way to try solution number two.

Thanks for your ideas. Hopefully Dantz will figure out that the changes they have made recently in their approaches to products and support are alienating loyal customers. After 10 years of using Retrospect on Macs and Windows, I'm wondering if this is too much for me.

Perfect! Thank you. That was exactly right. Sorry for the derisive comments.

I read too quickly and thought that suggestion #1 was to click on the "Advanced" button in the Retrospect clients "Live Network" screen. The one where it asks for a license if you've got the pro version.

But you were exactly right. As soon as I changed the access order, it worked.

Thanks again!!

Archived