HLDS GSA-S10 compatibility question

In the Retrospect Driver Update for Retrospect 6.x (Mac) Version History, in version 6.1.12.101, it states HLDS GSA-S10 (Apple version) Optical *Only DVD+R media is supported with this driver update and optical devices.

However, in the Device Support Information/Database, the device is listed as Qualified, with no mention of any limitation. Has the limitation been removed in a later driver update, or is the database incorrect?

There was a bug introduced in an earlier RDU that only permitted use of +R media. Look at the later versions in the RDU version history, specifically this line in RDU 6.1.14.101:

-Fixed a problem introduced in RDU 6.1.10.100 that caused DVD-R media to fail in supported drives.

So, this bug is supposedly fixed. Don't use DVD for backup, myself.

Russ

It seems to me that this was to fix an unintentional failure of DVD-R media, but the for the HLDS GSA-S10, Retrospect originally intentionally did not support DVD-R media.

Furthermore, what about CD-RW and CD-R media?

And furthermore, most of drives originally listed in the driver update version history as being supported only for DVD+ media are still listed in the compatibility database as being supported only for DVD+ media, hence my question about whether the GSA-S10 is an exception to this.

I'll leave it to Robin to answer your question, he's the authority. You may want to review this post he made back in April, however:

RDU fixes +R bug introduced in earlier RDU release

However, it's been my experience that the compatibility database is not well maintained, and the most accurate indicator of support in the past year or two has been the RDU version history file (a/k/a/ release notes).

Good luck. Your questions are good ones, sorry I don't have the answer.

Russ

Edited by Guest