No way to use 6.2.234 client with Leopard Firewall?

I just installed the 6.2.234 client on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.2. The Retrospect Client installer seems to make no provision for the Leopard firewall, so I had to configure the firewall settings to "allow all incoming connections".

I've seen other posts discussing earlier versions of the Mac client, where either the solution was to

• uninstall and reinstall, and a magic dialog appears to allow you to add rules to the (admittedly stupid) Leopard firewall settings.
  • guess the magic files inside the Retro Client.app bundle that need to be added to the Leopard firewall, and add them.

Neither of these (lame) options seem to be possible with the latest installer and the Leopard firewall.

So what is the solution?

It's probably:

Retrospect Client.app/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect Client

First, good luck adding that to the Leopard firewall. The file chooser for adding applications to the "specific services and applications" pane doesn't allow you to look inside application bundles. And you can't drag-n-drop stuff from the finder into that panel either.

Second, I think there are other processes running that also need to be exempted, a la the pitond process from previous client incarnations. I'm not sure what those are. However, even if I did know I don't see how to add them to the firewall exceptions.

Finally, there are some other suspicious elements inside the Retrospect Client.app bundle that look that they may be intended to deal with the firewall: firewallcon and firewallcon2. But if that's their purpose, they aren't working.

good luck adding that to the Leopard firewall

Thank you.

The file chooser for adding applications to the "specific services and applications" pane doesn't allow you to look inside application bundles

Nope; the standard OS X GetFile dialog does not allow it, and since Apple encourages developers to use existing application programming interfacing (instead of just making their own), that's not going to work.

you can't drag-n-drop stuff from the finder into that panel either

You can't drag anything from the Finder into the "specific services and applications" list (very un Mac like) but that's what the little "+" icon is for.

- Control click on the Retrospect Client application icon, and select "Show Package Contents," and navigate to Contents/MacOS/

- Click on the "+" icon in the Firewall tab of the Security preference pane and drag "retroclient" from the Finder into the resulting GetFile window.

I think there are other processes running that also need to be exempted

What do you base that on? Have you already tested with exempting retroclient, leading you to believe that other processes are involved?

...a la the pitond process from previous client incarnations.

I don't think your French is used appropriately here (but what do I know; I went to public school), but "retroclient" is the direct replacement for "pitond." It's not something additional, it's rewritten (universal binary) code that performs the same function(s).

there are some other suspicious elements inside the Retrospect Client.app bundle that look that they may be intended to deal with the firewall: firewallcon and firewallcon2

I _think_ that those processes are responsible for the magic dialog that's shown after install.

Adding retroclient to the firewall does not work. Turning off the firewall works but I will not turn off the firewall. Downgrading to the last version of the client also works but I stupidly upgraded all my client machines and have lost contact with all the 10.5 machines and would need to remotely log on to each machine to revert.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I fix Leopard firewall issues on my clients:

1. Set Leopard's firewall to "set access for specific applications and services..."

2. Launch Retro Client.app

3. Toggle the client off and on: Command-click the off radio button (the client will now say "not running"). Click the "on" radio button.

4. An OS X dialog will appear asking to allow "retroclient" incoming connections. Click allow (this actually happens twice but I have no idea why)

"retroclient" should now be in the allowed applications list and able to successfully accept incoming connections. This is not a foolproof solution though. Sometimes, a restart will be required between step 1 and 2. Also, if "retroclient" is in the allowed list after step 1, it sometimes helps to remove it. The end effect to look for is the OS X firewall dialog asking to allow retroclient.

In the worst case, if none of that works, run the client installer, uninstall (make sure to manually remove "retroclient" from the firewall if its still there), restart, run the installer again and the installer should trigger the firewall dialog.

Lastly, a comment about selecting "retroclient" directly from the firewall prefs: I have never gotten that to work. However, with any OS X dialog like that, doing the command-shift-G trick will allow path selection inside packages and other hidden directories.

Hope this helps,

• 2 months later...

I solved this by two steps. 1. Firewall set for specific apps, allow for retroclient for incoming. 2. ALSO used the '+' key in firewall to add the retrospect client app. Having both of these in the firewall allowed section has resulted in the annoying login message going away... at least for now...

• 9 months later...

6.3.027 seems to talk to our Windows server from Leopard but Snow Leopard will only work if I turn the firewall off so far. retroclient produced a popup that added an entry in firewall:advanced but it was added blocked. Changing it to allow didn't help. 6.3.23 client DID work on my Snow Leopard laptop.