Express HD 2.5 is the current version

Mayoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I'm new here and just bought the IOMEGa storcenter ix2 which came with Retrospect Express HD.

Q1: I received and have installed version 2.1.101. If the latest version is 2.5, why hasn't the software detected it and updated it (If I click on "Check for Updates", it returns a message "Your Retrospect Express HD version is up to date."

Q2: I located the 2.5 download site but I see there are numerous posts about problems with version 2.5.113. Should I install it? Is there a previous version available that is better?

Q3: When I do a back-up, I receive an error message that 2 files did not compare. Why aren't they corrected so they compare? Is there a fix for this?

Q3: When I do a back-up, I receive an error message that 2 files did not compare. Why aren't they corrected so they compare? Is there a fix for this?

Because they changed during the backup prior to the compare.

One fix would be to boot your computer from a different disk, back up the quiescent disk, then boot back to the original (and now backed-up) disk.

You are seeing the correct behavior. Retrospect told you that the file changed while backup was occurring. If you don't want this to occur, then stop the files from changing during a backup.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Russ,

Thanks for the explanation. However, I don't think that is what is happening. I am looking at the log of one of the files and it is something I haven't used and wouldn't change (it is a program I downloaded a year ago). When I looked at the properties after the backup was completed, it showed that it was created 11/2/2008, the date I downloaded it. It says it was modified 10/02/2006, apparently the last time the creator of the file modified it. I never modified it. :cool:

Since the backup changed the archive bit, it didn't back it up the next time around (it thought it was unchanged from the previous backup) I simply reset it so it would get backed up the next time around which worked fine. :content:

Ok, this is new information that wasn't in your original problem statement.

To me, it would seem to be a cause for concern if you know, for sure, that the file hasn't changed.

One possibility is a "mystery garbage block from space" on either the file itself or onto the backup set.

For example, a few years back, I discovered a firmware bug in our server's RAID 5 card, such that, occasionally, even if the computer was cleanly shut down (i.e., not a crash or power fail, but a clean shutdown), the card disconnected itself from the drive bus before all data in its write caches had been flushed to the disks. This was a very elusive bug, and hard to generate a reproducible test case because the mystery garbage block from space could occur anywhere within a terabyte of data on the filesystem. The card believed that the RAID 5 was intact when it wasn't, causing odd results depending on the order in which the members of the RAID returned data.

Fortunately I discovered this during testing prior to deployment of the server, and my workaround was to disable the write caches on the RAID 5 card.

I don't know the cause of your errors, but I would suggest that you investigate further. Who knows whether the original copy of the file in the backup set is correct, or whether the copy now on your disk is correct, etc.

Russ

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...