EXECUTION ERRORS

From my recent purchase of Retrospect 6.1, I've had DVD-R burning problems with my Pioneer 112D Drive. Many of them seemed to go away with updating Pioneer's firmware using the crossflash technique.

For reference:

http://forums.dantz.com/showpost.php?post/111037/

The last two times I tried to back up bundles of files, I am getting HUGE lists of execution errors, and I don't know why. Most of the time 3 to 10 exec. errors mean minor glitches and generally don't show any effect when retrieving files. The last couple of times I am getting exec. errors on well over 100 files - one time nearly 800 errors - close to half of the total backup!

I tried to retrieve a few of the 'errored' files, and several of them 'hung' retrospect during retrieval and locked up the application. They are seemingly random - different file types in different project folders. Which files have errors changes somewhat if I try another backup, so I cannot understand what to 'flag' as a potential problem.

The only thing different from older sets is the total backup size. It is about 18 GB when I would usually do about 12-14 GB at a time.

Is there a limit to total number of files, or file sizes that can be backed up successfully?

I am seriously to the point of demanding a refund and returning Retrospect. I've dealt with glitches in software before, but never as much or as often as Retrospect has been lately. We need a debugged upgrade that works, and need it yesterday.

p.S. - An immediate idea is that I am using/messing with the files intended for backup while it is burning... They are not being touched. They are on my active workstation, but they are kept in a separate, non-active folder.

Edited by Guest

I am seriously to the point of demanding a refund and returning Retrospect. I've dealt with glitches in software before, but never as much or as often as Retrospect has been lately. We need a debugged upgrade that works, and need it yesterday.

According to your linked thread and your initial post in this thread, you have taken a Pioneer DVR-112D, which is a supported device as of RDU 6.1.11.101 (my RDU backup history shows that this RDU was released June 29, 2007), and then have done a "custom config" (which is not as optimal as the pre-configured parameters in the RDU).

I'd suggest first that you quit Retrospect, move the .rdi file from your custom config to the desktop, launch Retrospect again, and try with the standard parameters.

I wouldn't expect any major changes or updates until Retrospect X, based on a new code base and cuurrently in development, is released. Beta has been announced as being expected later this year. There's really not a whole lot that can be done on the existing code base.

Russ

Easier said than done. Unfortunately the only media we have in stock right now is DVD-Rs. Our purchasing agent bought over 200 of the disks some time ago for a great price. We used dozens of them with Retrospect Express for years without problem, but now this new upgrade treats DVD-Rs like kryptonite. I fail to see why I need to change media when every bit of documentation I have seen says that they ARE compatible with Retrospect.

(Sony DVD-R Ver. 2.1 1x-16x)

It may be worth noting that I've got Retrospect Express 6.0.195 on an older Mac G4 with a Pioneer 111D drive - it has its own quirks.

It can burn a full backup without more than a couple execution errors -- but for some reason it cannot burn a full 4.7 GB disk without stopping prematurely. At random times it stops with "error 204 (device busy)" and asks for a new DVD. The last backup should've fit on 4 or 5 disks - it took eight. Just goofy.

Interesting - by dumping the plugin (I assume) Retrospect dumps any and all profiles for media...

I tried doing a small backup (about 150 MB of data instead of multiple GB) and it burned to the DVD-R flawlessly and retrieved it as well.

I tried burning the same data as a new storage set onto a CD-R: 40 execution errors out of 114 items - only could retrieve what didn't have an error.

I burned a new set of the same data onto a new DVD-R disk - it worked as well. We'll see if this works on a larger multi-disk backup, but who knows?