Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 (write protected)

I am using a new Lenovo with Retrospect 7.6.111 hotfix 7.6.1.101. I too get this message EVERY time I backup. I recreated my catalog files earlier this week and got a successful backup. Since then no luck. I have turned off my desktop search in case it was trying to index the Catalog. I also disabled Norton from scanning the catalog folder. Still no luck. Regarding security ... just in case there was an issue, I added "Everyone" with FULL rights to the catalog folder. This problem started when I upgraded to 7.6.

My computer is running Windows XP Professional. I have the "Retrospect Catalog Files" folder inside of "My Documents" ... the full path is ... C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\My Documents\Retrospect Catalog Files. Yes, the System account has Full Control over the folder. And in Preferences -> Execution -> Security, I have selected the "Run Retrospect as the logged-in user" option.

In a command window I ran a "chkdsk /f", this then checked the disk on restart. No problems detected. After that I deleted the catalog files, re-created the catalog files and then ran a backup. Same error -1103. My next step is to downgrade to my previous version. I havent had a successful backup in about 8 days ... not good!

Very interesting. I did an uninstall, then rebooted and verified that all folders were deleted (ie ... c:\Program Files\Retrospect\). I then reinstalled 7.5. The strange thing is that I didn't lose my configurations (Backup Sets, Volumes, etc...although I went ahead and recreated them anyway.) Now I have more questions than answers. When I run my backups I still randomly get the -1103 error. I backup 3 pc's ... 2 out of 3 were successful, the host computer's backup failed with -1103. I re-ran and second time it went thru successfully.

About 10 days ago I installed Quickbooks Pro 2002, then Lenovo pushed some updates, and Microsoft pushed some updates. So the million dollar question is did one of these updates cause this problem? Or did Retrospect not uninstall fully? What do I have to do to get a clean Retrospect 7.5 install? Does Retrospect save any files to Windows\System32? And why would Retrospect not do a complete uninstall?

I am not experiencing any other "write protected" errors in any other application running on my host system.

Well I did as you recommended and put the catalog on an external USB drive ... and yes, it did work. The million dollar question is what changed on my sytem that is causing windows to lock the catalog file? I have a default install of XP and my login account is an administrator account! Thanks for the help.