HD 2.5.113 crashes while restoring from 2.0.214

richpasco

One weird thing did happen today.

I did a quick 1 file restore and it worked perfectly. No bug at all.

Prior to this, when I booted up my PC, my antivirus software, McAfee, "told me" that Retrospect Express HD had made a registry change in Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

any idea what this is all about?

No bug at all.

One successful operation does not prove that software is bug-free. While Robin hasn't explained the exact situations under which the bug I discovered in 2.5.113 bites, it's clear that mine is one of them. You're lucky.

By the way, the bug does not depend on whether you're intending to restore one file or many, since it crashes when you click "Restore", before the dialog where you select which file(s) you want to restore.

What I should have added to my original post (under the name MarkJW - I forgot my login info - dont ask!) is that I got the error message about 2-3 minutes after I clicked on restore the 1st time I tried it.

It was after I got the mysterious registry change notification and tried it again that it worked.

I was certainly not trying to minimize your situation I was just trying to add information.

Mark

I uninstalled 2.5.113 and re-installed 2.0.214 from scratch. Now, I can click on "Restore" and the program does not crash as it did with 2.5.113. Next, I selected a recent restore point and got a file selection menu. I chose two important files and clicked Restore to a separate folder, "My Restored Files\Restore 1". However, the files were not restored. Instead I got:

Executing DirectRestore at 10/6/2008 5:59 AM

To volume Restore 1 on Central C (C:)...

-10/6/2008 5:59:52 AM: Restoring from RestorePoint2, Snapshot Central C (C:), 9/20/2008 8:05:58 AM

10/6/2008 5:59:53 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 6,205 KB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:01

Next I checked a much older restore point (which had a green dot next to it), chose the same two files, and got:

Executing DirectRestore at 10/6/2008 6:37 AM

To volume Restore 2 on Central C (C:)...

-10/6/2008 6:37:21 AM: Restoring from RestorePoint2, Snapshot Central C (C:), 4/7/2008 5:35:01 PM

10/6/2008 6:37:22 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 6,203 KB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:01

Please understand that I never had problems restoring files with 2.0.214 from backups it had made until now. Could it be that having 2.5.113 on my system somehow damaged my backup?

- Rich

Having 2.5 would not damage the backup set.

Express HD has very limited error reporting ability. Once again, you should download a trial to Retrospect 7.6 and attempt the restore. It will have a very detailed log which will hopefully tell you what is causing the actual failure. You do not need to remove express HD to do this. Once you know the cause of the failure then we can try to fix it.

OK, I installed EMC Retrospect Professional 7.6.111 from http://www.emcinsignia.com/try/ as well as the Driver and Hotfixes 7.6.1.101 as prompted. With it, I successfully restored the two files on which 2.0.214 had failed earlier today:

+ Executing Restore from Backup at 10/6/2008 8:35 AM

To volume restored on Central C (C:)...

- 10/6/2008 8:35:51 AM: Restoring from RestorePoint2, Snapshot Central C (C:), 9/20/2008 8:05:58 AM

10/6/2008 8:35:57 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 2 files, 6,205 KB

Performance: 181.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:04 idle/loading/preparing)

Now, why can't 2.0.214 restore its own files?

Is the last post from the operations_log.utx file in the Retrospect folder or the Retroexpress folder?

The success response in my last post was from my Retrospect\operations_log.utx.

I would be interested in seeing the operations_log.utx under from Retroexpress restore on 10/6/2008 8:35 AM

There is no such entry. The last restore in RetroExp\operations_log.utx was the failure at 6:37 AM already posted here here. The 8:35AM restore was with Retrospect, not Retroexpress.

At least I was able to restore the few files I most needed, using the trial license of Retrospect 7.6.

However, I remain disappointed that the product I already paid for, Retrospect Express HD 2.0, clearly does not function as advertised and expected. This neither endears me to EMC as a vendor nor encourages me to pay additional money for a permanent "upgrade" to Retrospect 7.6.

I am glad that my persistence after reporting the Assertion Failure has helped EMC identify their bug in Express HD 2.5.113. I'd submit a bill for my consulting time if I thought there was even a chance that it would be paid.

• 4 weeks later...

Robin,

I just started getting the same error message. I can't even start the program. As soon as it loads the assertion error shows up and the program locks. I have to end it with the task manager. It's been running smoothly (more or less) for about a two weeks since I installed the update...until now. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, including removing files from the registry. I must not be finding everything because I can see that the previous settings (which files to back up and which drives to use) are still there after the fresh install. Help?

• 1 month later...

On September 30, 2008, Robin Mayoff wrote,

What you are seeing is a bug in the software we are going to try and fix as quick as possible....

It's now December 15, two and a half months later, and the latest version on the Retrospect Express Download Page is still the same buggy 2.5.113.

What does "as quick as possible" mean?

If EMC's stance is that Retrospect Express (for which I purchased two licenses) is no longer supported, perhaps they could honestly say so, not just keep customers waiting for a version that works correctly.

The trial version of Retrospect 7.6 did seem to work OK, but my experience with EMC's support so far doesn't leave me feeling comfortable enough to spring $119 for a license.

- Rich

Robin Mayoff wrote,

Upgrade pricing from HD to Pro is MUCH less then $119 and it includes 30 days of phone support.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the page whereby one can buy it at the upgrade price? There was no mention of it on the page I cited.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Using 2.5.113 I get this same error in Vista.

I have only attempted a copy and error has been reoccurring each time I attempt to open app. It also on initial copy ended in an error (although it seemed to complete the copy... although not sure if it got everything).

Any further developments or ideas to fix?