HD 2.5.113 crashes while restoring from 2.0.214

richpasco

A few days ago I backed up my Windows 2000 system with Retrospect Express HD 2.0.214. It prompted me to update to 2.5.113, which I did (when my backup was complete). Now when I try to restore anything from that backup, Retrospect crashes.

I clicked on the "Restore" button on the main screen shown in Fig. 1, and after a few seconds got the error message shown in Fig. 2.

How can I restore my files backed up with 2.0.214?

fig1.png

fig2.png

Edited by Guest

I did as you suggested: I uninstalled Retrospect Express HD via Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, and then I deleted folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RetroExp and all its contents. I then reinstalled Retrospect Express HD 2.5.113 and uninstalled MozyHome 1.8.9.3 as described here. Finally I launched Retrospect and clicked on Restore and I get the same assertion failure as noted above.

Now what?

I am rebuilding the catalog file as I write....

In the mean time, can you tell me exactly what the assertion at "tstring.cpp-2214" asserts? One would need to look at the source code to know. Usually programmers use assertions to test for their own programming errors, but they code more helpful error messages to report issues with the external environment (e.g. corrupt or missing files).

Robin Mayoff wrote:

You might have a damaged catalog file. Delete the .rbc file on the backup disk and Retrospect will rebuild it.

So, I deleted "\Retrospect Restore Points\RestorePoint2.rbc" (1 Gigabyte) from my backup drive and re-started Retrospect Express HD 2.5.113. It showed a status message about doing backup system maintenance, all day, as the number of restore points gradually grew from 0, 1, 2, ... up to the 13 it had when I started.

And then I clicked on Restore ... and got the very same assertion failure as in my first post in this thread.

I really would like to restore files from my prior backup done with 2.0.214. Should I uninstall 2.5.113 and reinstall 2.0.214? Perhaps 2.5 is not yet ready for prime time.

You may want to download a trial to Retrospect 7.6 and see if it works better for you. Express HD has very limited error code details.

This thread is not going in the direction I want.

I paid cash money for a license for Retrospect Express HD 2.0 (having received 1.0 bundled with a hard disk purchase). All I want is for the software I already paid for to work as advertised, specifically to restore the files I already backed up with it! I am unhappy that it doesn't, and even more unhappy that your solution is to tell me to try yet another EMC product (which, if it works, will cost me even more money for a new license).

At this point, I'm so frustrated that I would switch vendors before I bought another EMC product.

That page says, "Technical Support is available to customers covered by a current support agreement or who pay for support incidents."

Does a paid license for Retrospect Express HD 2.0 comprise a current support agreement? If not, does this mean that I will need to fork over additional money in order to get the software I already paid for to work properly?

You may want to try clearing out your temp directories based on the page file error in the log.

Retrospect checks for the existence of environment variables in the following order and uses the first path found:

1. The path specified by the TMP environment variable.

2. The path specified by the TEMP environment variable.

3. The path specified by the USERPROFILE environment variable.

Strange, the log doesn't seem to show a backup attempt for some reason.

Here's the reason: When you asked me to try doing a new backup, I didn't want to risk ruining my older, probably good backup by doing a bad one on top of it. So I renamed my ...All Users\Application Data\RetroExp folder and created my new backup on a different drive. Then (after it worked) I disconnected that different drive and restored things as they were.

How much free space do you have on the C: disk?

It has 50 GB free of 160 GB total.

How much physical RAM do you have?

512 MB.

... try clearing out your temp directories....

Both environment variables TMP and TEMP point to the same folder, specifically

C:\Documents and Settings\pasco\Local Settings\Temp

I removed everything from that directory (including all its subdirectories), restarted Retrospect Express HD 2.5.113, and clicked on Restore. After a few seconds I got the same Assertion Failure as shown above.