Reasons to upgrade

sowen222

Unix/Linux and OSX client support.

Retrospect Open File Filter - which is an Open file Backup Manager that allows you to backup all open files/databases.

Disks Backup Set - allows you to backup to hard drives better.

etc. www.dantz.com can give you more info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The upgrade did not go well for me - none of my previous scripts, volumes, settings, etc. were preserved.

I called support and they wanted to charge me for support - on something I just bought.

That's not customer service nor support.

I have requested a refund and will revert back to 5.6 which actually has been working fine.

If/When Dantz decides that upgrade revenue is important and are willing to stand behind the products, I might take a look at upgrades.

Too bad - I have been really happy with 5.6 and the support I have received in the past.

At this time, we don't have an official comparison chart on our website.

Changes to Retrospect 6.0 include:

- New GUI

- Open File Backup - Retrospect's Open File Backup technology employs a filter driver to cache any data being changed, essentially allowing Retrospect to back up a steady-state file. The cached data is discarded following the backup.

- Linux / Unix / Solaris client backup

- OS X client backup

- Disk Backup set which allows full use of a hard drive, regardless of File System limitations and allows spanning of multiple drives.

- CD-RW Auto-Configurator - Retrospect includes built-in recognition for many CD-RW drives. For drives that are not recognized, you can create a custom configuration. Custom configurations are not qualified through Dantz's rigorous Hardware Certification process and therefore are not supported. After creating a custom configuration, you should perform a backup with verification turned on to ensure that Retrospect works properly with the device.

Archived