Express HD 2.5 Fails to Start with Windows

TorontoUser

Almost every time I boot Vista, Express HD 2.5 fails to start with Windows and a window asks me to close the application.

I've tried repairing the installation to no avail.

While this isn't too important as I don't have it scheduled to backup anything, I'm just wondering what might cause this?

It isn't unique to this version either, the previous one acted the same way.

In XP it doesn't fail like this.

Edited by Guest

Yes, I've tried that several times and rebooted at every step. At first I figured that it may be due to the fact that each version had been installed on top of the other.

The uninstaller, however, does not remove a great deal of stuff as on each occasion it hasn't been necessary to re-enter my serial number or re-register. Even my backup settings were preserved.

I did have to uninstall Mozyhome as, although you pointed out elsewhere that they offer a certain amount of free online backup, I never found that option. Only so many months free and then $4.95/month thereafter.

The installer should have the option to exclude extras such as that.

This happens only in Vista by the way, not in my XP boot. I'm wondering if UAC has something to do with it?

If I subsequently start the application it works just fine.

By the way, something I've been meaning to ask, is there a board option to automatically be subscribed to threads that one starts or posts to? I haven't found it if there is one.

Edited by Guest

I experienced the exact same problem. In my case it turned out that upon upgrading to version 2.5 I needed to re-do my backup configuration. You said that you did not have the program set to back anything up. What you should do is go through the set up routine and specify your prefs but leave the automatic scheduling disabled. This solved my problem. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion but I do have it set up as I do manual backups from time to time, I just don't have the schedule set.

Maybe I'll try a complet uninstall, reboot and reinstall....again.

I experienced the exact same problem. In my case it turned out that upon upgrading to version 2.5 I needed to re-do my backup configuration. You said that you did not have the program set to back anything up. What you should do is go through the set up routine and specify your prefs but leave the automatic scheduling disabled. This solved my problem. :cool:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I did solve it, sort of, but not to my satisfaction.

In ProgramFiles I right-clicked retroexpress.exe and made it run as administrator for all users.

The trouble with that is that it actually doesn't then start with Windows at all, but somewhere in the process of your bootup a balloon will appear from the taskbar saying permission is required (in Vista anyway).

In the end, and as I don't do scheduled backups anyway, I used Windows Defender Tools/Options/Software Explorer to disable it from Startup.

You have to click "Show for all Users" to get the disable button to show live.

That's a very useful feature of Windows Defender.

In XP I have no problems.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Guest

PMC,

Yeah it makes sense, and you're right when you say it's not satisfactory.

I have been very happy with Vista's stability although there are a lot of things you have to get used to. I believe application or driver conflicts are the main thing still to be worked out with Vista because truthfully Retrospect is not the only program that fails to load for me. I am going to use your idea in a modified sense in that I am going to disable some other things to see if I can get Retro to work properly.

I did achieve success but not like I would have liked.

I went through the procedure of disabling apps and services through Windows Defender and then MSConfig, rebooting about a hundred times. During the course of events I uninstalled and reinstalled Retrospect 4 times. I also made use of system restore 3 times, and nothing helped. Finally, I uninstalled version 2.5 and installed version 2.0 and now the app is loading properly and functioning as advertised.

I am forced to conclude that version 2.5 is the problem, at least on my machine. I haven't seen a lot of complaints on this forum about this particular problem, so I am at a loss to explain any further. The one thing I didn't do (that I just now thought of) was to download a new copy of version 2.5. I will try that sometime this week and post back, or if you want to try that then you can let me know.

Dave

• 6 months later...
You can solve the problem that Retrospect Express HD 2.5 fails to start automatically with Vista, if you change the program file RetroExpress.exe to run in compatibility mode Windows XP SP2.

BDreher,

per your suggestion I have made the change and after 3 days it seems to have worked out. Thanks a million.

Let me add my apologies to PMC. After re-reading the thread, it seems as though I hijacked his post. Totally unintentional, and I'll try not to do it again in the future.

• 7 months later...