jcb0165

Exchange Log Files

I am backing up exchange 2003 but my log files keep increasing. Is there an option or type of backup I should be using to remove the log files from the mdbdata directory.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. We are running out of HD space

Are you doing a full backup? Retrospect uses standard exchange full backup commands. That full backup command should trigger the server to reset the logs.

Recycle and exchange full are totally different processes. All of your exchange backup options are in the Options>More Choices>Exchange section of the script Options.

As I understand, both FULL and INCREMENTAL exchange backups must commit log files. I think full backup commits before backup and then does backup from store, and incremental backup backs up log files and then does commit. Correct me if I am wrong. Differential only backs up all the time log files. Also exchange itself must set to not commit log files (circular turned off).

But also I noted that Retrospect fails to commit log files in incremental exchange backup (and also fails to backup log files at all) if this script isn alone - if srcript also backs up mailboxes or other drives. I always make storage backup script alone, athought this is wery strange, maybe some bug.