"Waiting for backup media"

Hello,

I am backing up my Mac Pro to a backup server (a powerpc G4). Both are running OS X 10.5.4. The version of Retrospect is 6.1.23 and the client is 6.2.222.

The backup server says that the client is "responding," yet I continue to get the "Waiting for backup media" message over the past 24 hours. There is a lock icon on the drive I want backed up.

What might be the problem and, more important, the solution?

Michael

Retrospect backs up to "Backup Sets," of which there are various Types (Tape, Internet, File, etc).

- What Type of Backup Set are you using?

In the Macintosh version of Retrospect, either "File" or "Removable Disk" Backup Sets can be used to store data on FireWire hard drives.

The most likely cause of the "Waiting for backup media" is that Retrospect does not see the media associated with your Backup Set. Describing your configuration thoroughly would be the only way readers of the Forum might be able to discover why.

Dave

This *sounds* like my existing problem in the other forum posting: "INCORRECT "Waiting for Media" error message "

The only real solutions are to:

1) restart your backup server machine daily

2) revert the backup server machine back to 10.4.11

There is still no fix from Apple (or EMC) for this bug. Nothing in the published rumor reports of 10.5.5 imply it will be fixed in that release either, so you should submit a bug report to Apple at: http://bugreport.apple.com

all four of my firewire external hard drives show up with the note "Content unrecognized."

And confirm that on the left it lists each hard drive as "Removable Disk" with a disclosure triangle next to it that can be toggled to reveal the name of any volume(s) on that hard drive?

Is this only a problem with a Backup Server style script?

I'd suggest looking at Maser's thread; and try a restart to see if it comes back.

Yep, under each Removable Disk triangle is the actual name of the drive.

My "Duplication" scripts work fine. Only the Backup Server script is problematic. It worked fine for a couple of years. I've no idea what caused it to stop.

I'll try Maser's strategy of all else fails.

Michael

My "Duplication" scripts work fine. Only the Backup Server script is problematic.

Right, but the Destination for any Duplicate operations are completely unrelated to any Members of your Removable Disk Backup Set, right?

I'll try Maser's strategy of all else fails.

If all else fails? It sounds as if it's failing pretty completely now.

How about just restarting the Macintosh to see if the behavior changes.

If you restart and it magically starts working again, *please* file a bug with Apple!

I'm convinced it won't get fixed until enough critical mass of people report this problem. I've had to curtail the purchase of replacement backup server hard disks as I need to keep running 10.4.11 on the machines to keep things working 24x7

• 3 weeks later...