error 1128 (path too long)

boskovuk

This is my environment:

Retrospect Professional 7.6.111 (driver update and hot fix: version 7.6.1.101)

Windows XP - SP3

I am trying to restore from existing Backup Set to an empty hard drive (~150GB). However, the restora fails with several (~50) errors:

........ error -1128 (path too long)

(see below for one example).

I have searched other discussion for 'error 1128', however, couldn't find anything that seems to be similar/identical to my problem.

Help appreciated. Thanks!

+ Executing Restore from Backup at 26/08/2008 11:25 PM

To volume r on TESTIRANJE (G:)...

- 26/08/2008 11:25:01 PM: Restoring from initial (nov 4 2007), Snapshot bosko, 25/08/2008 7:26:08 AM

File "F:\bosko\download_instalacije\hard disks\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE (Oct 2006)\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE OEM Hard Drive ST3250620A in Canada at TigerDirect.ca.mht": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

Trouble writing folder "G:\r\licno\Trazenje Posla - tehnicka proslost\BAU-Solutions\tehnologije\JAVA technologies\Web Services\The Java Web Services Tutorial for JWSDP v1.1\Download Java Web Services Developer Pack Tutorial 1.1\tutorial\examples\cb\server\src\com\sun\cb\messages", error -1128 (path too long)

26/08/2008 11:25:39 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 62283 files, 13.1 GB

Completed: 178 files, 47.9 MB

Performance: 89.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:37 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

Mayoff,

thanks for quick feedback and explanation.

I wonder why Retrospect stops executing the restore action when these files are found (with long file names)? It should skip these and proceed with the work anyway.

At the moment, I don't know how to proceed from here - there are so many files that need to be retrieved and the restore stop working due to the error condition.

See details of my job:

----26/08/2008 9:06:07 AM: Execution incomplete

--------Remaining: 228466 files, 89.7 GB

--------Completed: 154540 files, 44.8 GB

--------Performance: 877.6 MB/minute

--------Duration: 00:52:23 (00:00:09 idle/loading/preparing)

How do I force Retrospect to skip errors and to continue execution regardless of 'error 1128'?

Additionally, I am confused with:

"...Windows will not allow files to be written into a path longer then 245 characters ..."

The above doesn't make sense. These files existed previously on my Windows based PC. Retrospect stored them into its internal catalogs. Restoring it back to the same Windows environment should not fail.

Am I missing something here?

:confused2:

Hmmm, it seems we are not on the same page (you don't see what I see).

The file(s) that is crashing Retrospect retrieval process existed at this location:

"F:\bosko\download_instalacije\hard disks\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE (Oct 2006)\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE\Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE OEM Hard Drive ST3250620A in Canada at TigerDirect.ca.mht"

That was within Windows environment.

The Retrospect is instructed to retrieve this toward the same box (Windows based), where it existed before.

Are we sure that the error is caused by Windows and not by some internal Retrospect problems/bugs?

:eyes:

Mayoff,

thanks for repeated replies and guidance.

I understand, these files will need to be individually retrieved.

However, I have more important issue to deal with. I don't know how to force Retrospect to proceed with the retrieval process. It stops once 'error 1128' condition is detected. I still have ~80GB of data to be retrieved from Retrospect backup files.

Please, advise. TIA.

Robin,

Your latest suggestion (uncheck the problem folders so they don't get restored) seems to be working. As you can expect, the problem is the 'restore' will stop every time the underlying condition is detected and Retrospect with error 1128.

question:

It seems to me that you guys perfectly understand the cause of the problem and you could easily confirm if an individual file will fail Retrospect restore request.

I am puzzled why Retrospect stores these problematic files if you know that these files will stop 'Retrospect restore' action and trigger error 1128?

The proper way to handle this condition would be not to store these into the backup sets at all, since these individual objects are not retrievable (regardless of who is to blame, Windows or Retrospect).

Does the above makes sense? ???

I agree that Retrospect should handle this better. The restore really shouldn't stop, it should just report the error and move on.

Robin,

would you be able to submit this request/report/feedback to the development team so they (hopefully) include this fix in upcoming patch releases?