Exchange Agent Setup (Login As gray with key pair)

I am trying to get the Exchange Server Agent addon going for the first time (Retrospect 7.6, Exchange 2007).

I have added an rbu domain user in Domain Admins, Domain Users, Backup Operators, and Enterprise Admins, setup a mailbox for it and put in a piece of mail, and I have set Retrospect to run as this user.

I cannot set my 'volume' to "Login As" the domain administrator though because that option is grayed out. I *think* this might be because when I initially setup Retrospect I set it to use the public/private encryption option (so it does not ask for username and password when a client is installed).

How can I rectify this? Can I still use the Exchange addon? Can I get a non-key client installer somewhere (and will that work with the rest of my clients) (is that even thinking of the problem rightly)? I cannot see mailboxes at this time.

Thanks.

Yes (I think). I expand "Configure" on the left, click "Volumes", and then expand "Backup Clients". No backup clients (including my Exchange server) have "Login As" (it is there but gray for all of them). I do have "Login As" available on the "My Network Places" options which I use for only one computer's Windows share [it doesn't like the client installed on it for some reason/but that's another story).

Thanks.

You are right (of course), I just hadn't clicked down deep enough (duh).

Unfortunately though, now that I have, if I try to "Login As" on the "Exchange Mailboxes" (hoping to get to the point that I can see them, etc), it prompts me for the password over and over again.

I can "Login As" the "Exchange Server" with the same rbu user info and that works (but I cannot see any mailboxes from within retrospect and I cannot "Login As" to the "Exchange Mailboxes" beneath).

My retrospect-rbu user is in Domain Users and Domain Admins and Backup Operators (and I have tried Enterprise Admins, Administrators, and Users too [alternately]). There is a mail in the box on Exchange. I tried "use current RBU" (retrospect is now running as my retrospect-rbu user), I tried appending the 'Domain' field of Retrospect's "Login As" with .local, I tried changing it to the Exchange machine's name, I have logged in to Exchange's web interface as the retrospect-rbu user to make sure it is right/the password is correct, etc.

What can I have missed?

Thanks.

On the Exchange box when I attempt a "Login As" I see a corresponding 3 event log lines:

528 = user logon

576 = special privs added to new logon

538 = logoff

Is that the correct sequence or might that indicate whatever condition is causing me to be prompted over and over?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...