Disk-to-Tape Backups

Thanks. I found the disk-to-tape document, and I am following those procedures. They recommend snapshot transfer. I am still trying to figure the difference between backup and snapshot tranfer. I assume the transger merely copies the disk backups and does not move them per say. I have never done this before, so that is why I ask this trivial question.

Anyway, let me ask if I create a transfer snapshots backup for several disk backups, can I create a script to backup other data using the same backup set. In essence, it would append the backup data on the same tape that the transfer snapshots uses. We conduct application backups that I would also like to store off-site on a rotation basis (Backup Set A & B), etc. I just want to make sure when a restore is necessary there are no complications. Thanks.

I have a question that you maybe able to assist me with. It pertains to backing up the information store to disk. I setup the backup set to groom to remove backups older than (1). It does not initiate automatically. I must manually initiate a groom session for it to work. I have other backups that automatically groom, but the Exchange backup does set does not seem to do this. Is this the way it should be?

I have a question that you maybe able to assist me with. It pertains to backing up the information store to disk. I setup the backup set to groom to remove backups older than (1). It does not initiate automatically. I must manually initiate a groom session for it to work. I have other backups that automatically groom, but the Exchange backup does set does not seem to do this. Is this the way it should be?

Retrospect doesn't groom until it reaches the max size of the backup set. THEN the rule is applied.

We do schedule a groom script every weekend.

And why not set a value larger than 1? You are (in effect) performing a "recycle backup" and not really use the advantages of grooming.

I wound up creating a grooming script as suggested. We conduct a mailstore backup every Friday night. If we need to restore for any reason we have no need to go beyond a week, so exchange progressive backups are not necessary nor efficient in this respect. A weekly recycle backup serves us much more efficiently.