Starting Retrospect brings up useless window

pep

I applied the latest updates to Vista 64 and rebooted. Starting Retrospect 7.6 now brings up a blue window with rounded corners. There is an X in the upper right and also in the upper right there is what looks like a power button i.e.. a 1 in a circle. There is nothing else. The box title says EMC Retrospect and is white on a blue box with horizontal white lines and rounded corners. Clicking the power button brings up another copy of this blue box. I have gone to the Programs directory and run Retrospect directly and get the same box. I have used "Run as administrator" with no change. The bottom line is that I am down and have no way to restore, do a backup, check status, etc. I hope someone can help.

It sounds like the activity monitor is incorrectly opening. This is a bug.

1) Try to restart the computer. It may fix the problem.

2) If the problem continues, locate the Retromonitor.exe in C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\monitor

You can then rename retromonitor.exe to .old or something like it. This will prevent it from opening.

I experienced this same problem and found this post.

I renamed retomonitor.exe as suggested and this did allow Retrospect to open. However, before it opened it gave me an interesting message. I didn't get the exact text (will try again after my next backup as I expect it will happen again).

The message was something like, "Another instance of Retrospect is already running. Click Yes to close that instance and restart."

Clicking Yes brought up a little gray window with the clock spinning with text like, "Waiting for other instance to close."

Then the Retrospect GUI opened up.

I suspect this is a problem with the retrospect service starting a scheduled backup and not closing it out correctly? But this is just a guess...

Also FWIW there isn't a Retrospect icon in the taskbar in Vista64....

Here is the exact text from the first pop-up window.

---------------------------

Retrospect

Retrospect is already in use.

Another user on this computer is running Retrospect. Only one user at a time can run Retrospect. Select OK to exit Retrospect and run it in this session. The executions in progress will be stopped and will not run again until the next scheduled time. It may also take a while before it stops.

OK Cancel

It seems this happens every time a scheduled backup is performed.

Hi, I too am experiencing this issue after it did an automatic update to 7.6 from 7.5 using Vista 64. Restarting the computer had no affect. Even a reinstall of the application did not fix the issue.

I've also noticed that the scheduled backups do not run even though when exiting Retropsect it advises that the media is available. I'm not sure if this is part of the same issue or something else.

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like the activity monitor is incorrectly opening. This is a bug.

1) Try to restart the computer. It may fix the problem.

2) If the problem continues, locate the Retromonitor.exe in C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\monitor

You can then rename retromonitor.exe to .old or something like it. This will prevent it from opening.

Sorry for the late reply but this did fix the problem. What confused me was that I had rebooted the system after the update. Apparently it took a second reboot to clear out the problem.

Thanks for the tip.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Has there been any progress on this issue?

I have a customer with Vista Ultimate 64 running Retrospect Pro 7.6.111 and this issue is still occurring.

It has been happening for a couple of months now. I had found this post before and renamed the monitor.exe to .old and then re-booted. We thought the problem was solved.

However, we found even if we leave Retrospect running, at some point it will stop doing the scheduled backups. It may do today's, but it will not do tomorrow's. It shows that it did them, but there is no time spent running them.

We are currently manually re-starting Retrospect each day and prompting the running of the incomplete backups.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

It has been happening for a couple of months now. I had found this post before and renamed the monitor.exe to .old and then re-booted. We thought the problem was solved.

If you have renamed the monitor and you "still have problems" then you are having a totally different issue.

I would recommend creating a new thread, and describe in detail exactly what you are currently seeing or what exactly is failing.

• 1 year later...

What I'm finding is that Retrospect is running as "SYSTEM" instead of my user account. As a result, I can't actually see the application, even though it's running and I'm the only user on the machine. It's properly bringing up the monitor because there's already a session running. If I rename the monitor app, then I get the pop-up informing me of the other session. I'm going to look into ways of forcing it to use my user - I thought "run as the logged in user" setting would have been good enough. This is really just a symptom - not sure why the session hasn't completed properly in the first place - says it's waiting for media...wish I could see what the real problem is.

This problem didn't seem to happen with Retrospect 7.6 in Windows XP Pro, but started for me when I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64-bit and Retrospect 7.7.

I'm also not seeing the "background task" icon in my system icon tray.

The problem really seems to be a difference in how Windows XP and Vista/7 seem to treat the sessions run by the launcher. In XP, I could actually see the GUI when it was launched by the service. However, in Windows 7, I can't see the GUI, even though I can see the program in Task Manager. I've tried "allow service to connect to Desktop" and Run as user, but neither solved the problem for me. Searching the web, this issue doesn't seem limited to Retrospect...but it would be good if we could find a solution since there are times that the retrospect process needs user input.

Edited by Guest
More information

• 4 weeks later...

See Topic#33739.

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/33739/

I'm seeing this issue when Retrospect launches from a service and has any kind of hang-up, rather than when I launch Retrospect directly.

In XP, with Retrospect 7.6, when I logged in, I'd see Retrospect running in the system tray and I'd be able to launch the GUI and correct anything. Now that I'm running 7.7 in Win7 64-bit, I just get the monitor and have no way of correcting the issue without killing the old session and starting a new one. Just seems like Vista and Windows 7 work differently than XP and EMC hasn't updated their software accordingly.