SQL Cluster backups

emulator

Hi All...

I'm having an issue with backing up a cluster of two Server '08 machines running MSSQL 2005. I was told by EMC Tech Support that in order to back up the cluster, we would have to purchase two SQL Server backup licenses (which we did). I was also told that we should not back up the cluster as a whole, but instead back up each cluster node separately (which we are doing). The problem comes in the following situation:

1. Cluster Node 1 is the "active" node, and the SQL server backs up fine.

2. Cluster Node 2 is the "passive" node, and the SQL server backup fails with an error of "Trouble reading files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)."

This error is expected, as only one node can have access to the SQL server at any one time. But is there any way of telling Retrospect which node is the active node, and therefore skip the backup of the passive node's SQL server instance? The backups run every hour, and our log emails are loaded with these errors. Or, am I doing this completely wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the reply. I had read the cluster information listed in the kb article that you posted. I didn't see anything there that addresses my issue of the errors coming back when the passive node is backed up. Is there any way to stop this (other than removing the SQL container on the passive node from all backups, a very dangerous proposition in my opinion in the event that the active node fails).

Do you plan on adding better support for clusters (e.g., restoring cluster information in a disaster situation and being just more "cluster aware" as many other programs out there are)?

Marc

We will eventually add better support but it will not happen until the next major Windows release at the earliest.

The 1004 error comes directly from the SQL server itself. Your SQL logs may provide better info about what the error means. Also check the WIndows event log.