How to back up Oracle database

Is there a good way to do a nightly unattended backup of an Oracle database using Restrospect? I am the system-administrator-by-default at a small company and am being told by our main vendor that for the Oracle server we really need to install Backup Exec which is apparently able to stop the Oracle services before backing up and restart it after. I would like if possible to use Retrospect for the Oracle server as well since I am planning to use it for our desktop pcs/macs, fileserver, ad server etc. Is it going to be too difficult to implement Oracle backup using Retrospect? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you Robin for the information. I'm still reading through the manual so I'm not sure about the terminology... Is a "crash consistent state" the same as a backup? Also, my vendor tells me that I need to do a cold backup of Oracle rather than an open file backup. Is there going to be a difference in accuracy? Thanks for your help.

No, we schedule the dump, so it's finished before the backup runs. Sorry, I have NO idea how on Windows, we normally run Oracle on Solaris (Unix).

We have test installations of Oracle on Windows, but we don't backup them.

There is a command line interface to Oracle on Windows, so I assume you can schedule a .bat file, but you are on your own here.