Vista , 7.6 and Activity Monitor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm yet another voice in the wilderness with same problem, it seems. After taking the advice to rename retromonitor.exe to .old, I now have a gray box telling me it's waiting for another instance to exit, despite the fact that there is no other instance of retrospect, retromonitor, retrorun, or retro-anyotherdamnedthing running. *sigh* Looks like yet another reboot.

This has been going on for, what, almost a year now? And it's going to be fixed in 8.0, for which we're going to have to pay an upgrade fee? Great.

I too am having the same problems (Vista Business 32 SP1). Retrospect.exe is running under the SYSTEM user and there is no way to get to the user interface to see what's going on.

JEtkins: open Task Manager, and click 'Processes', and then click 'show processes from all users.' This should show you the Retrospect.exe process that is running.

My problem appears to have started when the backup was initiated while all users were logged off (unattended backup). I've rebooted several times without any resolution. I don't know what to do. Apparantly the official response is to run the software from a machine running XP!?!

JEtkins: open Task Manager, and click 'Processes', and then click 'show processes from all users.' This should show you the Retrospect.exe process that is running.

I ran Process Explorer with "Show processes from all users" selected, but there was no sign of any retro process at all, despite the gray box's insistence that it was waiting on one to finish.

The weird thing was that there were no backups scheduled or running, and I had just closed Retrospect not ten seconds earlier - I was trying to open it again because I had forgotten to check something before closing it.

JEtkins: Can't explain that, other than there is probably some file that the 'gray box' program was reading to determine that Retrospect was still running (?!?). If you can't determine that file, then a re-install should correct it (??).

I rebooted several times (as after each re-boot, another 'backlogged' Retrospect backup script would start), and I was finally able to open Retrospect and get into the logs and see what had happened. I'm still trying to experiment to get a backup to successfully complete with all users logged out--but no success yet. This was no problem under XP.

It's june ... the last update for Windows Retrospect was in december 2008. It seems there are no news about a release who solved 2008 and Vista problems ...

These are things who makes me think to go on the market to find another product to sell to my customers... what else can I do ?

Matteo

You have had more than six months to correct the monitor issue with retrospect.

You have not even really acknowledged a problem with the retrospect monitor.

I need an answer as to the solution to this problem, and a reasonable time frame to correct.

If you are unable to provide that, I would like a refund so I can purchase a product that is functional.

This is a very long thread with a lot of different experiences by users. If the activity monitor is loading instead of Retrospect.exe or just isn't displaying accurate info, then I would suggest users disable the activity monitor Application by either deleting it or renaming it from a .exe to a .old file. This will prevent the monitor from loading all together. The result will be that Retrospect 7.6 basically works like 7.5.

Windows Vista doesn't like programs that run under a different user account then the currently logged in user. This is a Vista limitation. Until the Retrospect UI and Engine are separated and run independently (like 8.0 for Macintosh) on Windows, Retrospect will continue to encounter the Windows limitation.

My suggestion is to manually launch Retrospect and leave the program minimizing and running in the background. You then don't need to worry about autolaunching, etc. If Retrospect is being used to back up a network of computers, you may want to use a Windows XP system as your backup computer so you don't encounter the Vista/Retrospect limitations.

As far as the 64 bit support, you must use 7.6 because 7.5 does not support Vista 64 bit.

Edited by Guest