Vista , 7.6 and Activity Monitor

Has anyone had success with the Retrospect Activity Monitor?

We have Retrospect 7.6 (Single Server) running under Vista. When backups automatically launch the UI does not appear even if account is logged in (server has only one account so I would guess Retrospect's running account and logged-in account are the same?).

When you ask to run Retrospect (from icon or Start menu) while it is running the background (auto started), the new Retrospect Activity Monitor window opens. But in my case the window remains blank. It does not show the background activity (even after a wait).

Does the Activity Monitor work? Is it supposed to work in this scenario? And even if you have only one account, and it is logged in, why under Vista is the UI still hidden when automatic backups start?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes computer has been restarted.

This is pretty much a virgin Vista machine. I can't imagine .Net not being installed properly. I did run some .Net config wizards but nothing obviously wrong. Do you have any suggestions for what to look at.

Only the standard Vista Windows Firewall is running (no other AV, Firewall or other app). So I disabled the Windows Firwall as a test and tried Retrospect Activity Monitor again. Same behaviour - does not show the backup running in background.

I also have problem with activity monitor. On a media unavailable (per email notification), the activity monitor screen is corrupted (no text on dialogue box) Is there a way to upload a pdf of the screen to this forum?

sbs 2003, disk to disk install.

I would love to see a screenshot of what you are seeing. You now have permissions to upload images.

Is Retrospect running under a different user account then the currently logged in user?

What are your settings in configure>Preferences>Security?

That screen shot is exactly what ours looks like too (but running under Vista). There is no backup shown.

In our case we have only one account on the machine (with admin rights). We use 'run as specified user' but that account is the same as the logged in account.

This morning we had a more difficult case because there was a warning message about media not found but that message was hidden naturally. The Activity Monitor comes up blank as usual and the kill button (the circle with small vertical bar in center) just brings up another Activity Monitor screen when clicked. There was also no message from Vista about a process wanting to display messages. I had to kill the Retrospect process with Task Manager.

And as I mentioned before I disabled the Windows Firewall without any improvement. I don't know what else to check on .net and machine has been restarted many times.

I'm seeing the same thing on 2 windows 2003 servers running 7.6. In addition when I try to start the monitory I get and internet explorer popup asking me if it is safe to run a script.

Process explorer shows retromontor.exe is repeatedly trying to open a TCP connection to port 22024, but netstat show nobody as listening on that port.

The Monitor does use Microsoft .net, so that may explain some of the TCP notices. Firewall can not block the .net communication.

That's interesting information but doesn't fix the problem. Right now, 7.6 is a step backward because you can no longer force a graceful shutdown.

Does anyone have a case where a new install has a non-working activity monitor versus an upgrade?

I am having this same problem on Windows Server 2003.

I have tracked down the problem. Retrospect.exe is listening on port 1937. Retromonitor.exe is trying to connect to port 2200. Then it adds one and tries to connect to 2201, and so on. However, it seems to be remembering the last port number it tried (somewhere) and starts on that port number the next time it is started. So, in about 3 days it will either crash completely and never start again (when it rolls over to 65536) or will roll over and start at the beginning.

Where is the last port used stored, so that I may change it until you fix this?

EDIT: This is a new install.

Edited by Guest

Well? Any progress? Now the exchange server has ejected the tape, and I don't know if there was an error or it's just looking for a second tape.

EDIT: This a different server than the one discussed previously, with the same problem.

Edited by Guest

Based on your feedback, Activity Monitor does appear to be using the wrong port in some cases. The default address and port will be 127.0.0.1 (loopback) and 22024.

Our engineers are continuing to look into the situation.

If you connect over a remote connection, please review this document: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7891&p=2

• 2 weeks later...
Based on your feedback, Activity Monitor does appear to be using the wrong port in some cases. The default address and port will be 127.0.0.1 (loopback) and 22024.

Activity monitor appears to be working fine, it's the retrospect process that is not listening for it it.

Any progress on this? A registry setting we can change perhaps to line up the port numbers in the two programs?

I still get into weird situations sometimes where Retrospect needs something or is hung and I can't interact with it and can't shut it down (since it is not visible and monitor does not talk to it). It does not happen often but depending on Vista to provide the "A program is requesting input" dialog is not very workable at times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have several installations of Retrospect running Pro and server editions. All exhibit the monitor problem after upgrading to 7.6

Also, jobs are failing to fire when run from batch files and the program is generally less stable than 7.5. After spending lots of time over this, I have now decided that 7.6 is not worth bothering with and will reinstall 7.5 on all my systems. This is a free upgrade that was very costly in terms of lost time and backups.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody actually see retrospect.exe listening on port 22024 (you can use Active Ports 1.4 to test this.)? If so, did you upgrade from 7.5 or did you do a fresh install of 7.6?

As others with this problem have said, I see retromonitor.exe trying to connect on the 22024 port, but it has nothing to connect to.

As I stated above, Retrospect had been listening on 1937, and Activity Monitor was incrementing its port, trying to find Retrospect. I'm pretty sure that Retrospect only listens during scheduled operations, so if you're looking for open ports when just running Retrospect, you're not going to find anything.

This was with a new install.