"Can't add to backup set XX: The catalog is locked.

Hi everyone,

Up until yesterday our Retrospect was working just fine. Then I began getting the "catalog is locked" message. What makes it lock? How do I unlock it?

After hours of frustrates searching, I realized our drivers were out of date, so I upgraded them. And Retrospect. And the Retro Clients.

Still the same error. I see the "clean up your tape drive" message, and am running a cleanup now. Any other ideas?

Absolutely nothing was changed between 7/22 and 7/23 on the system. No upgrades, no new machines, no software tweaks. Nothing. I admin the system, so I'd know.

This is the Log:

+ Normal backup using "A" Current Jobs for Graphics at 7/23/2008 6:30 PM

Can't add to backup set 2008 "A": The catalog is locked.

7/23/2008 6:30:20 PM: Execution incomplete.

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.126

launched at 7/24/2008 7:06 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.9.102

You should clean your tape drive. It has been used for 22 hours since

the previous cleaning reminder.

Quit at 7/24/2008 7:37 AM

∆ Retrospect version 6.0.204

launched at 7/24/2008 7:38 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.102

Quit at 7/24/2008 7:40 AM

∆ Retrospect version 6.0.204

launched at 7/24/2008 7:40 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.102

launched at 7/24/2008 8:04 AM

+ Executing Recatalog at 7/24/2008 8:06 AM

To backup set 2008 "A"…

Can't save catalog, error -45 (file locked).

7/24/2008 8:06:42 AM: Execution incomplete.

launched at 7/24/2008 8:44 AM

Polly, yes, something did change. You updated Retrospect from 6.0 to 6.1. The catalog format changed - see the release notes.

Try moving the catalog to your desktop (so that Retrospect can't find it, saving it in case of disaster) and rebuilding the catalog from the backup set.

Russ

Well, I don't know where your old IT guy put the catalog. It can be put anywhere on the disk.

You can find out where it is by launching Retrospect, then Configure > Backup Sets,

select the backup set, click Configure,

click the Summary button, and you will see the location of the catalog following the "Catalog:" heading.

Quit Retrospect, navigate to that folder in the Finder, drag the catalog file to the desktop (or some other place where Retrospect won't find it, simply to save the catalog in case things go horribly wrong), then rebuild/recreate the catalog from the tapes.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I've pulled the "locked" backup to the desktop, but when I select "rebuild from tapes" the 'scanning devices' window pops up and it simply hangs.

Thanks again for all of your help with this, I truly appreciate it. Of course, it's happening just before I leave for a two-week holiday.

Have you rebooted your machine after all the Retrospect and RDU changes? You seem to be having issues talking to the hardware.

Another possibility, from all of the moving back and forth between versions, is that your Retrospect preferences became clobbered.

As a comment, is there a reason that you are running such an old version of Retrospect? 6.1.126 is old. See the updates page. But this is probably not your underlying problem.

There are two approaches to solving, one more radical than the other.

One approach:

Quit Retrospect, move (not copy) the folder:

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect

to a folder on the desktop (to save it in case things go badly), then launch Retrospect. You will have to re-enter the license code, and you will not have any scripts, etc. You could re-create them or you could restore the contents of /Library/Preferences/Retrospect from a backup (you do have a backup, don't you?)

Another approach:

Quit Retrospect, copy /Library/Preferences/Retrospect to the desktop (again, in case things go badly), launch the Retrospect 6.1 installer, uninstall (use the menu) Retrospect, install Retrospect, try to see if things work.

Russ