Recatalog: not enough application memory

So, I have a corrupt catalog file, [color:red]again.[/color] Retrospect won't groom it, so I tell it to rebuild the catalog from the 3 local disk members.

It works for about 4 hours, then complains "not enough application memory".

Is there any option besides "stick more RAM in the backup server"?

Retrospect Multi-server 7.5.508

Driver and HotFix 7.5.14.102

Windows XP.

Retrospect Multi-server 7.5.508

Driver and HotFix 7.5.14.102

Windows XP.

How much RAM do you have? What is running besides Retrospect? And I don't just mean applications, I mean RAM hogging services, too.

A server operating system would be much more stable than a personal OS like XP. (And that is valid even if M$ calls it "Professional".)

The machine has 1 gig now. It's dedicated to running Retrospect, so it does essentially nothing else. No other services at all, and it is XP Pro.

The OS is plenty stable- I don't think this machine has ever BSOD'ed, and Retrospect application crashes don't exceed my expectations for a Windows app. I've rebuilt catalogs before.... just need a workaround for this "not enough application memory" issue.

Hi Robin,

There's 18.9 gigs open on C:

I don't get the opportunity to see how many files/GB are read before the error. It starts rebuilding the catalog, works for about 3-4 hours, then presents a dialog stating

Save the partial session?

Save will keep all files already found, omitting the remainder of this member. Revert will permit the rebuild to start again with this member.

[save] [Revert]

I don't want to omit part of a member... what if the file I need to restore is in that omitted section? But if I revert, it restarts, and 3-4 hours later I end up in exactly the same spot.

I chose save this time, and got to see that it ran through

303303 files, 224.9GB

And then the operation is done.

Log doesn't provide anything else new.... "not enough application memory", execution incomplete, and the stats of files, GB read, performance and duration