"Backup Set format Inconsistency"

I am running a large synthetic full backup transfer (most recent for each volume) from one large, 2-disk backup set to another. Partway through, one of the transfers said this:

[...]

Backup Set format inconsistency (9 at 7)

7/18/2008 4:39:36 AM: 1 execution errors

Remaining: 1 files, 253.7 MB

Completed: 42185 files, 10.3 GB

[...]

What does this mean? I searched the forum and there was a suggestion that it was a device problem, but I don't see any disk errors in my windows event logs, and this error showed up on only 1 of 55 volumes transfered so far (and there have been about 20 volumes transferred since without error).

• This error is in the source backup set, right?
  • Since the file presumably didn't transfer, will it be backed up the next time the volume backs up to the destination backup set?
  • What can I do to fix the source backup set? Recatalog? Verify Media?

Thanks...

If a file is found to be bad in this fashion, does it get marked as such in the catalog so it will be backed up again? Or can I "forget" all snapshots for that volume from the backup set to force that volume to be backed up again?

If the latter, do I actually have to run the grooming process to remove the data from the backup set first, or will forgetting the snapshots be sufficient to enable that the new backup to happen? The backup set is in the 1.3TB range, so grooming is quite time-consuming...

Thanks for your help, as always!

My advice is as follows. Please note that I do not represent EMC, I'm "just some guy on the Internet":

1. Re-Create the catalog.

2. This might fix the problem so re-test.

3. If problem persists, you can open the backup set properties, forget the snapshots involving the volume, then without closing the backup-set-properties GUI, switch to the options tab and perform a Groom. This will delete from disk the data pertaining to those snapshots just forgotten. This over-rides the retrospect default policy of keeping at least 2 snapshots for each source.