Mac OS X client failure

I have a Mac OS X client running retrospect client 6.1.130. The machine is up and responds to a ping from the retrospect server, but the server is unable to connect to the client. When I try to access it via the "Clients" list, I get "Sorry, couldn't connect to clientname, error -530 (backup client not found).

If we reinstall the client, the machine immediately becomes visible and I can back it up, but at some point, it disappears again.

Any _specific_ suggestions?

What are the names of the retrospect-related services we should be looking for on his system? Also, what exceptions should we be looking for in his firewall?

Thanks,

Jeff

I get the "Opening..." Client test window, which eventually fails out with a:

"Can't access a client at "IP ADDRESS", error -530 (backup client not found).

Here are all the details that I have relating to the problem.

We installed the 6.1.130 client on his system. During the install we got a pop-up asking to allow the Retrospect client access through the firewall. We said yes. Next we got a pop-up asking to allow the pitmond service access through the firewall. We said yes. Then we got a 'restart required' box. We restarted.

After the system came up, the client was visible through the firewall to the Retrospect server and it began backing up. The Mac OSX client had the "Allowing all incoming connections" exceptions set for the Retrospect client and the pitmond service in the firewall settings.

By the next day, the Retrospect server could no longer see the client. By this, I mean if you tried to add it, test the connection or look at the properties of the client, you got a "530" error. The server that is running Retrospect has the firewall turned off and can ping the machine at all times.

We checked the firewall settings on the client and they were unchanged. When we looked at the firewall log, there were a lot of messages like "DENY pitond connectioning from IPADDRESSofServer:1172". They were there every few minutes and the only difference was a slightly higher port number.

The only ways to get the server to connect to the client is to reinstall the client as described above, or to turn off the firewall on the client.

It appears at some point the server and client are trying to communicate on the wrong port. Just my initial guess.

Ideas?

Jeff

Retrospect does connect to a random port above 1100 (I think that is the number) and pitond is a Retrospect process.

When the "test" option fails with a 530 error it means that Retrospect can not see the computer at that IP address using port 497 (or the random port above 1100). It goes beyond seeing the client software itself, Retrospect can't talk to the computer.

That has been my understanding so far. It is obviously related to the Mac OS X firewall. Any ideas what needs to be configured on the mac so that retrospect can see the computer? He has the latest Mac OS X version and patches.

I would have thought that the client installer would have handled the firewall appropriately. The fact that the server and client communicate for some period of time initially after the install suggests that it does.

Any idea why they would stop communicating and the mac would start ignoring the firewall exceptions?

Have you configured your Apple firewall as shown in this screenshot?

Either choose:

* Allow All Incoming Connections

(thereby turning the firewall OFF)

or

* Set Access for Specific Services and Applications

(then ensure the Retrospect Client is in the list, you will need to add it, set to allow incoming connections as shown)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

same probleme as jwright on X.5.5 : retrospect can acces to 4 mac but 4 others are unreachable, despite the same configuration.

Turning off the firewall is not an option.

Any progress from emc on this point ?

May be a tutorial on WaterRoof can be another way to solve the problem, until X.6 is available ?

Thanks in advance