Duplicate Volume: File "xxx": appears incomplete

saberman

The support section of the emc website is at http://www.emcinsignia.com/support and

http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

If you call into support and the issue is identified as a bug then the cost of your support incident will be refunded. In most cases, the drive vendor will provide you with free technical support on the backup software.

Keep in mind that this software is in use on Millions of computers and I have not heard of a bug in Retrospect that causes only specific files to report "File "xxx": appears incomplete" when being copied. In all cases a reason for the failure has been identified or found. A bug did exist in 7.5 that caused an error "file didn't compare". This was a cosmetic bug we fixed in version 7.6

Edited by Guest

The support section of the emc website is at http://www.emcinsignia.com/support and

http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

If you call into support and the issue is identified as a bug then the cost of your support incident will be refunded. In most cases, the drive vendor will provide you with free technical support on the backup software.

That is the biggest scam on the internet. "Provide a credit card number and we will only charge it if we feel like it." How about if they provide the answer for free and if it is worth paying for I will pay for it?

Keep in mind that this software is in use on Millions of computers and I have not heard of a bug in Retrospect that causes only specific files to report "File "xxx": appears incomplete" when being copied. In all cases a reason for the failure has been identified or found. A bug did exist in 7.5 that caused an error "file didn't compare". This was a cosmetic bug we fixed in version 7.6

The bug is reproducible in 7.5. (If the Q/A folks want to know how to reproduce it give me an email address and I will send them detailed instructions and the files.)

There isn't any upgrade from 7.5 to 7.6 so you have to pay for the "cosmetic fix". BTW, changing the modified date is not a "cosmetic fix".

I am waiting for a link to a real bug reporting page -- one that actually tracks bugs and fixes. Let me know when EMC decides to provide one.

Edited by Guest
Typos

There isn't any upgrade from 7.5 to 7.6 so you have to pay for the "cosmetic fix".

Actually this is a free download from our website.

Does that mean it does not require a registration code or does it install as a trial version?

Since it is not an upgrade will I have to redefine my volumes and scripts?

I upgraded to 7.6 and ran the script. The first time it ran it copied the 340 files again but gave them the correct modified date. It did not say any of them "appeared incomplete". The second time I ran it it didn't copy any files.

It appears the bug that caused the modified dates of the files on the target device to be set to the current date has been fixed.

Also the annoying wizard window for doing an immediate backup that showed up each time you opened Retrospect seems to be gone.

However, I had a number of volumes that had been in use suddenly grayed out and new copies of the root drives showed up. For example, I have the following:

Telephone (T:)

Data

FaxTalk

All of the above were grayed out and there was a new entry:

Telephone (T:)

I had to create the Data and FaxTalk volumes under it and then tell Retrospect to forget the original set. This appears to be a one time upgrade problem as the new definitions are working.

This problem appears to be resolved.

Thank you.

• 9 months later...